Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter Weekend

I'm not sure what the heck I just did but I just deleted an almost completed post all in one misplaced tap! AAHHH!!
We've had pretty good weather this Easter weekend and I'm a few days behind on blogging (but not reading!)
Good Friday, I saddled and bridled Linus and we went out for a walk with Dad and Allie. She was also wearing her first saddle and I think once she saw Linus wearing his she decided it wasn't so scary afterall! I'm more used to the Australian stock saddle now. I cursed it something awful the first few times. If you've never seen or used one it fastens on like a dressage saddle (when I read this I was like, ya cuz I've done dressage...ya right!) Anyway, you fasten it by a buckle on each side of the horse and then there is a surcingle that goes over the top of the saddle that also gets buckled. Only one side of it buckles and the other side has a leather strap that goes through another buckle. Yes, the first few times it is as confusing as that sounds!! But I surprised myself at how quickly we got it on today. I think it is going to work nicely for us.
Yesterday Linus had a good case of P & V and I had to get pretty stern with him. He had to circle on the road until he was ready to settle. And even then he wasn't sure he wanted to at first. I think it was because we had gone up further than what Allie has been and he decided to act on her nerves. He learned that this is not acceptable and even though he is the younger one he can still be the mature one. He ended up finishing the walk with his head below my shoulder and very in tune. I think he felt like a kid on his way to detention!
We also conquered the mailbox (you've seen in previous posts how much he likes them) and the backpack. I think it was removed but we are going to do dress up tomorrow anyway. I already have the stuff for it so what the heck.
After a really great session today Linus met some very curious heifers while I was hand-grazing him. I think they were much more curious than he was and he found the fresh green grass more worth his time.


Here he is basking in the sun after our workout today. He had a few "ugly" days recently while growing but he is again starting to balance out. I swear he looks different every day at this stage! (he will be 2 in a month) He is finally letting go of the rest of his winter coat so should look like shiny new penny soon! Especially if it is nice enough for a bath next weekend!
Hope you all had a great Easter weekend and got to enjoy some great riding weather!

Donna & Linus
Lunenburg, On Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment