Friday, April 29, 2011

Cowboy and Indian spin

Well it was our own spin on the Cowboy and Indian theme which actually turned into the "Breast Cancer Cowgirl" (that's what my borrowed costume previously was used for) and Linus was my Indian pony. We had to really restrict the stuff we had for his costume due to excessive wind. We literally had to tie my had down to my head! It was a good desensitizing day though for things blowing around. It wasn't because Linus wouldn't tolerate it that we didn't fully dress him either...we couldn't get things on or to stay on in the wind! So my Indian pony had to just wear feathers in his forelock, mane and tail. My friend Fred came over to help me dress him and take pictures...which he now wants to see on Facebook.....we'll see about that one!

My fierce and brave Indian pony!


good boy standing for all of this work! we were also going to paint designs on him but the weather just didn't cooperate.


yee-haw! Hey Angie, the Texan cowgirl....what do you think of Canadian cowgirls?? : )


Showing off his mane...which by this point was falling out!



AHA, here is his fierce, get out of my way or I'll run you over pose!!!

All in all it was a good day and Linus behaved himself pretty good! He did a bit of dancing when Allie started running around in circles and bucking on the other side of the gates but Linus is getting over these episodes faster and faster every day. He's been a real trooper this past month and has taken everything in stride that I've asked of him. So, we will spend the summer taking it to the next level and finding more obstacles. I've again picked up a book I got which was written by a Police Officer who trains police horses so it has loads of neat obstacles in it.
I kind of feel like our dress up was a bit of an anti-climax...maybe we'll repeat full tilt in the summer for the whole effect!
Enjoy!
Donna & Linus
Lunenburg, ON Canada

4 comments:

  1. Those pictures are great Donna! Love that fierce look on Linus:)
    The book written by a police officer on training horses sounds really interesting. Please share the good tips and obstacles here:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your costume! I never came up with one, so I don't think Tygs will be dressing up this year. Maybe for Halloween! By then I'll know him better and have an idea what he would like to dress up like! Good job! I too would be interested in the obstacles the police officer tells about in his book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! The book is called Bombproof Your Horse and was written by Sgt. Rick Pelicano. Next time I will include some of his obstacles. A lot are similar to what we have already done but there are some new ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Donna,
    I love Canadian Cowgirls - yeehaw! You and Linus are definitely "dressed for success" and he has the best personality{:>
    Thanks for sharing about Sgt. Pelicano's book, I will look for it on Amazon...last year when we were at the State Fair of Texas, our Chester and Lakota were stabled by the Police horses and I was really impressed with how much they work with their horses.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete