Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Deep Creek, Ditches and Desensitizing

Sunday was the second day at the Deep Creek cross-country course. The wind was about 25 mph and Traveler was sore and grumpy from the previous day, but we managed to do every obstacle and jump. The most fun was the water - there were three vertical jumps set up in the "pond" and we had to canter through the water and over the jumps. The first jump landed us in the water, the second was in the middle of the pond and the third jump took us out of the pond. We also were able to try out our luck with half of a "coffin" jump. That's a jump ditch jump lay out - we only took the ditch and the second jump, but he did it. He was a little distracted, but when we started doing the more complicated jumps, his attention returned. And we did some banks - those were a little intimidating. We cantered through the pond, up a huge bank, cantered two strides on the "island" and then jumped off the other side of the bank and into the water. I kept saying "please don't let me fall off in the water, please don't let me fall off in the water." And we didn't - thank goodness. He never refused once - if he is unsure of something he will hesitate for a moment and take a good look at it and then jump. But the wind was very unsettling and I had to be a much more assertive rider than usual. Oh well, some days are like that. Yesterday the wind finally stopped blowing and it was a beautiful day so I saddled up the 4 (soon to be 5) year old gelding - Khat - and took him for a spin in the pasture. I am a very cautious rider and since he still is green broke, I usually do quite a bit of groundwork with him before we ride to let him know that we are transitioning from "wild, free horse in pasture" to "safe and sane saddle horse". However, I have moved up our process and now only lunge him a few times to the left and right and then get on. When I don't feel like I need to lunge him at all before mounting - then he will be more broke then green broke. He was great - we took a couple spins around the round pen and then out into the pasture. My two little girls were running around playing on the dirt piles and then my husband joined us with his golf clubs - chipping shots out into the field and Khat remained calm and cool throughout the whole time. He was very curious, but just stood and watched and then we cantered off into the sunset. Khat has an amazing "halt". I mistakenly said "ho" while we were cantering to get him to slow down and he slammed on the brakes and I was a little unprepared for such a great response time. I need to change my verbage and say "easy" instead. He was so much fun to ride - and he was able to listen to me when there were a lot of distractions going on. Then my 3 year old climbed on him to cool him down and I led him around. She clicked to him a couple of times and said "let's go do the jumps now". (Sure......) We have a couple of more weeks of training and then our first big event at Northwest Equestrian Center. I am moving up to the Novice level - I hope to get 4 success Novice Events this year and then finish the year with a Training level Event. Wish us luck.....

3 comments:

  1. I love hearing your updates on this kind of riding! You are doing awesome and are so brave to be out there doing it!
    I'm a "very" cautious rider too - I do WAY more ground work than just about anyone I know, before I ever get on - but I will say, I rarely have a wreck! So all that work pays off and keeps us safe eh?
    Shelly in Summerland, BC Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love hearing your stories of Traveler. I so envy what the two of you are doing. Jumping is one of the few horse activities I have never really ventured at but at some point really want to. Next time hopefully you can get some pictures of your handsome man sailing over some of the jumps.

    I am the same way with a young horse regarding the lunging-it becomes a huge milestone once they no longer need to be lunged before being mounted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your eventing with traveller is so great, I love to read about your riding.
    Khat also sounds great halting from canter:)

    ReplyDelete