Friday, April 22, 2011

Trying New Saddles

It's been awhile since I've had time to think about horses!  We have bought our first house and have been busy busy moving!  Today I needed a break from unpacking and a little horse time.

Glory and I tried a new saddle.  I have wanted to try an Australian saddle for quite some time, so borrowed one.  I think it was too wide for her.  It wanted to roll and creep back on her.  Me, being a western person have never tried english girthing, and it was harder than I thought it was going to be.  I loved the position it put me in and found it to be very comfortable.  The Aussie I have been looking at buying has the flat wool like an western saddle rather than the stuffed panels, not supposed to roll as much I've heard.  I wanted that for my other wide flat backed mare, since saddles tend to shift on her.

Glory was a doll and stood so still while I clambered on.  We stayed inside the pen and only rode for a few short minutes since the saddle wasn't fitting correctly.  You can see in the picture how it moved back in just a few short minutes from where it was originally where the pad is.

2 comments:

  1. I also love the seat in an australian saddle. I hope you find one that fits your horse well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of saddles I had a chance recently to try a number of treeless saddles back to back on same day. My curly Spirit( born Johnny Walker Gold from Claudia at RTE Curlies)is wide and a little short in the back, and I have been using a Tucker equitation but too big for me. I found the treeless worked really well and no longer rolled or slid back like all others we've had on him. It amazed me how his behaviour was instantly more forward and relaxed. Saddle fit is so important, good to take your time to find the right match for both of you (I ended up with a Torsion Bora, the oddest looking saddle ever, but he liked it the best and it was super comfy for me)

    ReplyDelete