Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Ozzie and Obstacles



I had some free time on Sunday to work with one of my favorite boys on the ground. This is OYY Walkan Osier-- Ozzie is his nickname. He is a 2 year old gelding. You might remember him from a post or two with him getting in some ground driving training.

I am hoping he will make a terrific driving pony and/or a beautiful sport show pony under saddle. But of course - with his breeding.. his success at those disciplines is a given :)



This is an owl I purchased for the purpose of scaring birds out of the barn and discouraging them from nesting up in the rafters.  Well--- it has never frightened any birds over the many years it has hung in the barn -- and it certainly is not very successful in getting a rise from any horse in the obstacle course.  The owl is definitely a dud.









   Ozzie was fine with the tarp alley in this direction - but for some reason did not like it all walking through the other way. That gave us something to work on until he could walk through it slowly and calmly without me at his side.







 We had a good wind so that added to the challenge.
Ozzie is for sale by the way !











Just on the other side of the fence, Ozzie's dad is watching. You better make me proud, son !  Salvadore loves a challenging obstacle and has completed the entire course on the ground and under saddle. He will come up and do some this year though.




There is still snow in the woods and the really huge snow banks in the yard continue to hang around - although reducing in size daily. I think it's finally spring ! Saturday, the phoebe was back announcing his name over and over... the sign that sugaring is over for good.  We made it through another winter !

Enjoy ~  

5 comments:

  1. What an incredibly handsome pony! Takes after his dad. :) Smart looking and acting. Almost looks like Ozzie's tail has curl to it. -Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a handsome boy for a little boy with no curls isn't he Susan ? :) He does have quite a bit of wave and kink in his long tail. I am thinking that comes down from his Morgan heritage. Maternal sire is a nice ride/drive Morgan; and his great great maternal grand mother is out of Ruby Red King.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ozzie has the cutest head, I also loved the picture of his sire and your comment about making me proud. The tarp alley is going to be one of the next obstacles I am looking to try with my boys and I am trying to see what you used to put it together. It looks like PVC pipe and 2X4's?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos Betsy, you and Curly ones are so creative. Yes, I see Morgan in this handsome one and what a good looking fella he is{:>

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dana -- the tarp alley is PVC with bungies to hold the tarp. I pounded 2X2 posts in the ground to hold the alley upright -- used duct tape to fix it onto the posts :) I can move it around.. make it a more narrow alleyway.. or wide for driving through with a cart!

    ReplyDelete