Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Sheila, Icon and Divnity and Kobee!

Well, I was very busy yesterday doing ground work with three of my horses.  First was *Sheila, she is just SO conceited - she is certain that the sun rises and sets on her beautiful self.  She is a challenging horse, but she is also an amazing athlete that will be incredibly powerful to ride - we will get there, but with her I am definitely "taking the time it takes"!

Next was *Icon - he is waking up a bit after his incredibly long trip from GA - he has been here for a week and a half now and while he is a very good boy, he is putting his lovely ears back when it is feeding time and that is a big No No around here.  So I did some round pen work with him and he was really great - really picking up well on it.  Right now he is still staying in my front yard in my round pen - I like to keep an eye on new horses when they arrive... and he has Dakota (our NSH) with him for company.  Well, I took Dakota out while I worked Icon and Icon was really very good about that too - he was looking for Dakota, but not panicking or anything - which is a good sign IMO.  So we were taking some photos of him for his pinto registration papers - here is one photo that show how tall Icon is.  My partner is holding him and he is 6' tall.
Third, I worked with lovely Divinty.  She is trained to ride, but new to us, new to our farm and I am spending time getting to know her - working with the "bag", lunging, etc., to see where she is at before we go further.  I am really delighted with her - she was great - obviously had not had the "bag" treatment before lol - but she picked up on the "game" quickly (well, Ana did some with her the other day too...).  I did lunge her and she was good - but..... I do think her feet are a bit sore, coming from a much wetter climate and it is SO dry here, she was not moving out like she did when she first arrived.  So, I think she will need shoes this year if we are going to ride her.....
Anyhow, here she is - I spent quite a bit of time tidying her up too - trimming her mane, clipping, cleaning, she enjoyed the attention I think.

Finally, I rode *Kobee briefly - I had a young lady come to try him out - she rode him very well, she is a great rider, soft and easy, but firm too.  He might be a tiny bit small for her - she is quite tall - too  bad though - he went great for her.  He is still available for anyone looking for a really great all around horse - 8 year old bay Curly gelding,  15.1hh!
Shelly in Summerland, BC Canada
http://www.curlystandardplace.com

4 comments:

  1. What do you mean "IF" we ride her!?!? I thought that was the plan mother!? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. that young colt makes WSL look short ! :) His foals will be something to look forward to !

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha - well we "will" ride her, that was just a figure of speech! Gotta get some shoes on her first.

    We are really excited to have Icon here - he is such a great young horse to work with too - very well mannered, which is SO important with a young stallion!
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your description of Sheila, made me laugh LOL:)
    Icon looks great and indeed tall!

    ReplyDelete