Tuesday, April 26, 2011

It's been awhile!

So I've been MIA for some time now due to a busy schedule but I think all has calmed down.

I'll try to make it a short blog and cover as much as possible. First off...


Theo, Abby and I attended the Midwest Horse Fair mid April. It was cold and rainy which made it hard to get the horses out for some excerise. This fact combined with some underlaying anxiety made Theo loose all his common sense. We did not ride him in the breed demo on Sat. and only walked him during the one on Sun. Abby however was fantastic! Only thing that bothered her was those silly mini horses pulling carts. Went out to the barn for the first time since the fair this Sat. and what do we have... A mini horse! Now I can desentize her to that. It's so funny to see all the horses spook at the little guy.


Theo and I have been continuing on with our jumping lessons. We've jumped 2'9" ! Yesterday I took him out on his first trail ride by himself this year. He was a bit of a handful so I'm thinking more work on respect from the ground this week. At the fair he reared up with Natalie and she abandoned ship when he came down so he's tried it a few times with me. I think it all comes down to RESPECT though and hopefully next time I blog I'll have better to things to say about my Theo boy.



I have to admit I'm not really into the Mini Challenge since I've been so busy. We've had a ton of rain so I was able to practice the puddles which both needed some help on. Not much bothers Abby but she didn't really want to cross the water when I was riding her. On the ground she was fine but something about having a person on her she was not having it at first but we did go in. Yesterday we rode up to the park where there is a small pond. It took allot of convincing again but she did get in the water. It was up to her belly! She stuck her whole head just below her eyes in it, pawed, walked around... I kept telling her she'd like!



Well there is tons more to write but I said I'd keep it short!

Here are a few photos of Abby doing some obstacles
Abby did not mind the Hoola Hoop at All! It was swinging from her neck while we walked around...We've done this before though.

Our nature given training puddle :-)

3 comments:

  1. Great pictures of Abby!
    Sounds like Theo is testing you, good luck with that! Please send over some of that rain, it is way too dry here (Netherlands) and the grass is going yellow! We could use a bit of rain soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those horse affairs can be tiring -- but great job to do it ! My mare -- who will do nearly anything I ask -- is afraid of the two mini donkeys who live up the road aways. when I ride by.. they come running down to say hi all cheerful and cute -- Keri's eye bug right out of her head and she starts a little prance. I told her I was going to lease those little guys, being them home and put them in her pasture with her :)
    It's so much fun to swim with your horse- glad she likes it !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a blast in the water! Love your hula-hoop photo. Good luck with Theo and his bad boy behavior; I bet you will nip it in the bud and blog about his good-boy behavior soon. That sounds like an awfully high jump to me....

    ReplyDelete