Saturday, April 9, 2011

Flex Rider Vest Tryout

Hi All, In view of some recent ICU incidents, I decided to buy myself a body protector vest. It arrived in a very timely manner yesterday from SmartPak, just in time for weekend riding. Unlike Betsy and Zoe's ride from the other day, today was too gorgeous for me to wear fleece under this vest, so I left it on a rock near the beginning of my ride. After meandering here and there on and off trails in the woods,
We came out into the Christmas tree field before heading up Back Street. Once there, we met all sorts of pedestrians, joggers from Hebron Academy, men shooting the breeze leaning on trucks, and kids on bikes as well.Here they are up ahead, and AhD got a little bug-eyed. Once he saw it was a passel of kids, he was happy.This girl was the one who took our portrait at the beginning of this blog. Later, she rode her bike along side us up the road. We also met one little boy who was beside himself at seeing a REAL horse. I could hear him carrying on and jumping up and down about it as he spied us heading his way. He was so darn cute, and I loved his little awed face. Wish I had a picture, but there were 5 or 6 kids riding around us on bikes at the time, so I didn't want to chance it.
Hmm...the Flex Rider takes some getting used to. It is somewhat like a life jacket, and the back bottom of it kept bumping against the cantle of my saddle ~ not too comfortable. I can unzip and remove that particular section of the vest, and I think I will tomorrow, even though the directions say not to (for lower back protection). From the design and feel of it, I most definitely think it would do a good job of protecting my innards should I need it to, so I intend to stick it out, and wear it every time just like I do my helmet. ~Susan and *RCR Ah-D-Das in Maine~

5 comments:

  1. Susan,
    You a super smart Lady and the vest looks great. What a great image I have when reading about the little girl riding her bike beside you and AhD. Wonderful memories for her and the little boy too. Thanks for sharing you always brighten my day.Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan - I loved the pictures and the vest looks good! I don't know if it is like a jump vest - but I wear mine most of the time. Better to be safe.... Looks like you are having some wonderful rides - way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, you should have seen AhD with the kids crowding all around him - he was in his glory. One little hyper kid had a laptop toy, and it was beeping and making weird noise. AhD ignored it and kept nuzzling the boy's face, and finally the kid yells, slightly annoyed, "WHY DOES HE LIKE ME SO MUCH??!" and went and sat on the side of the road to play his toy. I'm still giggling thinking about it.
    And, Liz, yes, it is like a jump vest! Level 3 ASCI certified. I need to play around with the adjustments on it because it squishes my, err, chest area - a first for me! ~snicker~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures! I am also wearing my vest now and after wearing it 4 times I am quite used to it now and feel good in taking safety seriously.
    It's always great to meet kids who like to see your horse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, I have considered getting a vest, and have seriously considered it even more after recent events. So thank you for the information. Maybe we can get Denise to do a review of vests? What brand do you like best, which do you not like, and why?

    ReplyDelete