Thursday, April 14, 2011

Yesterday

Well, yesterday I spent another hour with Sheila - and since I have been trying to work with her on a consistent basis I am happy to report she was very much improved.  We did the bag routine and also put my raincoat/barncoat (it crunchies like a raincoat) on her - well, she didn't like that very much, but since she mostly understands to hold her feet when she is bothered by something, she did get the point of the game and was able to hold her position pretty quickly.  We did some tossing the lunge whip over her back, her hip and her head and when she was finally looking somewhat bored then I felt I was making some progress.  I showed her the tractor that was being driven around the yard with the empty manure spreader behind it, I also showed her a car and a few other things in our yard that she wanted to have a closer look at - she was actually pretty good - quite respectful of my space and even when moving away from a scary object, she was not pulling on the leadline (which is the goal).

Next, I brought Snowy out - he is full brother to Sheila.  What a difference!  He is calm and easy going, likes to please and curious and careful - I love working with him!  And, he is only two years old and he is also still a stallion as well - sure would like to find him a couple of girlfriends this year, hint, hint :)
He was very good, we looked at all the same things in the barnyard as Sheila, and then I took him in the arena and did a bit more lunging with him - he has picked up on this very very quickly, this was only our third time and he is walking, trotting, back to walk and halting - all pretty well and mostly by just my voice.  We have a stallion show to do next month so I am hoping to take Snowy, Icon and Sandman - we will see if I get them all ready though!

Lastly, WSL and I went for another conditioning ride - it was a lovely afternoon - well, the weather wasn't great, but the company sure was!  Tessa was pretty good and only staring at a few things - more riding and she will be back to her awesome self.

Okay - I think today is an Curly Arabian day - probably Serenade, Joe and Cruise - we will see how far I get though!
Shelly in Summerland, BC Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment