Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Big Boy Pants

Linus and I took advantage of the one nice day we've had in quite a while! I updated my obstacle list, grabbed a few things and headed over to the farm. Today I did something I never do and worked with Linus before doing the other chores. I'm always a stickler to get the work done first and then play later. I was a bit early today though and knew my time with Linus would take longer than the chores would. So I will consider it a treat!
I got everything set up first while Linus and Allie were lying down together in the sun. Eventually though I caught their attention and the got up to watch what the heck I was doing. The looks I got from the cows were priceless too! I groomed a very dirty Linus first. While tied to the gate he pulled his famous move of getting the lead wrapped around the back of his head. I can't seem to tie him in a way that he doesn't do this. Whether it be high or low. I don't often tie him, but it's more necessary now with a second horse. Anyway, I was very proud of him today. Not for wrapping it around his head but when he did, he froze and patiently waited for me to unhook the shank on his halter and then re-hook him. It reminded me of a post I read the other day. I think it was Shelly who was stressing the importance of a horse not panicking and bolting but instead assessing the situation and waiting for help or reassurance. The first time Linus pulled this he did panic a little bit and I ended up acting very quickly and cutting his lead rope. He's never panicked since then.
I chose this tree for the hanging obstacle challenge because it already had a birdhouse and a beer can (target practice) hanging in it. I added a roll of tape, 2 rags and the end of a broom. I was hoping to get a rise out of Linus but no such thing happened.


Top left of this picture you can see the boxes I started to get out. I ended up moving them to the other end of the tractor. I had 2 different drink boxes, this blue box and a beer box containing empties...on of which my lush of a horse removed from the box! He promptly put it down though when he realised there was no beer in it.
I did the snake alley and the plastic alley pretty much as one obstacle. For that reason I made him go over it several times from both directions. I even jumped on the plastic trying to get him to take more interest in it but he just thought I was having a crazy moment I guess.
I picked the tarp up and waved it up and down all around him. He just gave me an annoyed look when he found some green grass to munch. So I brought him away from the grass and kept playing with the tarp.


My spectacular (or not?) streamer door!! I was going to move the shovel hanging beside the door but figured it would add to the challenge. This is a very narrow door, the most narrow one on the farm. The gate inside was closed when I took the picture but you can see that he has to go through the door and then by the gate to get into the area where he can turn around. He gave the streamers a good sniff but decided they wouldn't hurt him. They were blowing good in the wind today too!


I don't have the jump thingy's that everyone seems to be using for the tickle challenge so I improvised and used the gates. We put the bull out on the weekend so his round pen was free. Linus gave these noodles a pretty "what the $@!*"? kind of look but went through them. He went through into the pen better than coming out so we did it a few times until he was good both directions.
My list is in the truck so I can't remember any others from today except for the kite. Before we started any challenges though Linus had a good workout and a big lesson. It was the first time I had him out alone that far away from Allie since she arrived. She ran around and around their pen (they are currently in the 60' round pen until it is dry enough to put them on pasture) Linus was fine until he remembered about her. Then he started to try to get back to her. So I let out his line and made him circle me in both directions until I had his focus. At which point she would call for him and we would have to start the whole process all over again. It wasn't at all a nuisance though but a perfect opportunity to use the situation to get him to focus on me and our work rather than on her. He was funny and when he got the point would drop his head and come to me snuffling or chewing. I told him to put on his big boy pants and deal with it!
We had a great time...looks like it was a good idea to do it today because now we are expecting freezing rain!!! yuck!

3 comments:

  1. nice job Donna jobbing stuff together to make it work !! You've got a great horse and doing a super job with him. can't wait till you start logging some miles :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How ingenious of you! I love how you set up the streamers and the noodles! Doesnt' sound like Linus had a problem with any of your obstacles - that is fabulous!! GREAT job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL - I did tell you that Linus comes from a known line of lushes?? Ben *LOVED* beer as does Lucy though she's now on the wagon as she's expecting ;-))

    ReplyDelete