Thursday, April 28, 2011

Obstacle Splash Dancing

My Mom and I have been so SUPER busy here -- coupled with rain nearly everyday ~ what a crazy year for weather !  My new favorite man, BCF Splash Dancer had his turn meeting obstacles for the first time last week. I am hoping to get the chance to ride him through before the end of the challenge month, but I don't know if we are going to get a break in the weather to do it.

Notice, I am still wearing a winter jacket and hat.. it's cold !




The obstacle course is set up partly inside, partly outside. 

Isn't Splash such a handsome man ??










grumpy old owl... he's probably mad he can't scare anyone.









Splash and I pause a minute for a heart to heart... he thinks he can rush through the alley way.  











After a few tries.. he walks more calmly.










Splash asks ~ Tell me again -- what am I supposed to so with this ? 

















All the horses love the teeter totter it seems.












Now I know we are not going to meet any of these obstacles at a dressage show.. but I feel Splash is more prepared for an "anything" and throughout this exercise, our mutual trust builds. I know from being at shows - there are a lot of potentially spooky objects... when it rains for example -- the judge's booth is covered in plastic,  there are many spectators with umbrellas twirling... and who knows what else.  I love enhancing my relationship with Mister Splash with this 'game-like' exercise.

Zoe and BCF Splash Dancer in Vermont

4 comments:

  1. You are SO right, Zoe! Even for a Dressage horse these obstacles are so beneficial! And YES, Mr. Splash is incredibly handsome, wow. AND sensible..can't beat that in a stud now can ya? =] I just love how you and your Mom talk to your horses..I swear they understand every word too. lol. Loved it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, yes and yes is the answer, Zoe. Splash is very handsome and smart and willing and...a Stallion. What a great combination. Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. he IS a handsome one...and very good too. You look so nice together as a great team!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everybody, he is incredibly handsome!! And aslo so good with the obstacles. He really seems to enjoy the teeter totter wanting to get right back onto it:) Love that video!

    ReplyDelete