Tuesday, April 12, 2011

New Challenges




I hustled home after work and made supper last night so I could get out to play with my two boys well I had the sun shine and nice weather. I had about 2 hours of day light so grabbed all the items I needed for obstacles that I wanted to work through and set them up. Then went and waided through the mud and water and got Marley and Larry, brushed them out and we did the ground obstacles first. I have been wanted to try the barrel back just to see how they would be in tight situations. Larry will pretty much follow you any where so this one was pretty uneventful even after I kept making the opening smaller and smaller he had to back through. I put my sons back back on one of the barrels and he would rather have snooped in there. Marley took some work, he wanted to rush right through it so we would walk a few steps, stop, back, walk a bit more, stop, back and did this till we got to the end of the barrels and he would stand quietly and wait to back through. Then I pushed them closer together so it got him waiting for his cues to see what he was going to be asked to do next. I also took out the yellow rain slicker, in MN you never know when you will be out riding and it starts to rain so this was important that both boys did this obstacle. Ground first then saddle, I let them smell it, rubbed it all over them, layed it on top of them and walked them around with it on. Then I put it on me and went to saddle the two of them with the slicker still on. My first riding partner was Larry, we also did the snake alley and my son rode his bike down and back up the drive with us on a short walk along with the back pack and barrel back. Marley was next and he really didn't want to have anything to do with the back pack, I brought him over to it on the barrel, let him smell it and he really didn't care. The snake alley he had to check out, I had 2 old hoses and the horses had to walk through it with it being all twisted up and zig zaggy and it took him some time to figure out that it wasn't going to hurt him but we got it done and did it several more times before we moved on to something else. Sorry for the pictures, I think my photographer retired, I will have to work on him some more so I can share them with you. Have fun and be safe!!

Marley, Larry & Dana (MN)

No comments:

Post a Comment