Thursday, April 7, 2011

horses horses and more horses

Well, it is spring - albeit a COLD spring, but still spring - I know this as there is no snow in my ring and I am back to working as many horses a day as I can fit in and my energy level will hold out for!

Yesterday was no exception - I did ground work with three horses, Sheila, Snowy and Serenade (notice the "s" theme?, all are offspring of Sandman :)  Anyhow, Sheila was a bit difficult, but I expect this from her, she is sensitive, athletic and has an extremely high opinion of herself LOL.  The day before yesterday the farrier was here and Sheila and company were running around and showing off - we were treated to Sheila standing up on her hind legs as high as she could rear, leaping into the air and doing a 360 degree turn while airborne!  She did this twice!  I will never underestimate what this mare is capable of!  Anyhow, she was okay to work with - I will take the time it takes to work her through any issues she has and oh boy, when she is under saddle, she is going to be incredibly awesome - perfect for reining and the like - I am really hoping to find someone to purchase her who seriously wants to do this type of riding!

Next was Snowy and each day he is getting better and better - for a two year old stud colt, he is really minding his manners - I have lunged him twice now, once on just a lead rope and yesterday with the lunge line - he is getting it and doing very well!  Snowy and Sheila are full siblings, but Snowy is much easier to work with IMO.

Finally, was Serenade - she was a bit forward, but she remembered our work over the winter and she lunged very well and her gaits looked  quite level, not perfect, but pretty good.  So, I am hopeful that our work on the lunge and her corrective shoes are helping her to get her shoulder muscle back how it should be.

So that was yesterday and today (so far) I have ridden Kobee - he has been quite a challenge lately - very resistant in the jaw and exhausting for me, but a couple of times now I have lunged him with sidereins and let him be resistant to the sidereins rather than my hands and it has worked quite well.  Today, riding him was much better and he was much much lighter and soft to handle - thank goodness!

So we haven't had a chance to do any of the RAC mini challenge obstacles - expect for the cell phone of course - all my horses are desensitized to that LOL
So now I am off to ride Tessa - see you all later!
Shelly

2 comments:

  1. Shelly,
    Sounds like you have had a wonderful but tiring day with your Curlies. I have days where it seems with the wind blowing just right my Curlies are 15 mph faster and lots more forward.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day for you. I love how open and honest you are about your horses. And how you work through it each time. Thanks for sharing your experiences so others can learn. You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete