Sunday, April 10, 2011

Obstacle day

Today was a great day for trying some new obstacles with Suri. It is really sunny and nice out! I first put the tarp out (a big orange tarp, blue tarps are less common, we have orange tarps;) and put out a bal (I had taken my son's Cars bal for the day;) and then went to get Suri. I was really impressed reading about other Curlies with the bal and now Suri impressed me, she did great! I first showed her the bal on the ground, then thew it up and caught it again a couple of times, then I bounced the bal on the ground and bounced it of her body all over (neck, belly, back, hindquarters) rolled the bal all over her, including her face, bounced and kicked the bal under her and between her legs and threw the bal over her. She was fine with everything, my super brave horse! Then it was on to the tarp. She did notice it immediately so we took small steps towards it. I kept on incouraging her to go forward and at one point her front legs were just in front of the tarp and she kept moving forward only with her hindlegs so that she after a while had her hindlegs right behind her front legs and looked funny:) Then I encouraged her again and she put half a hoof on the tarp, then the other front hoof, very slowly she came on to the tarp. I praised every step forward. When she was on the tarp she was comfortable with it and we turned around on it and walked over it several more times. What impresses me most is that she never went backwards or reared or acted funny, she was so good! It took her some time to get used to it so we went slowly but she conquered her fear and decided to trust and at the end she was nicely standing on the tarp resting while I was talking to a friend who had just came from feeding her horse. Once again I am impressed and oh so happy with my new horse, she has exactly the character I was hoping for! Unfortunately I have no pictures of today because I forgot my camera.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you just love your new Curly and she is everything you wanted.

    ReplyDelete