Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sage and I in the snow, and opinions from Curly Mules...

Just a short post to say "hi" to everyone, and also to say how WONDERFUL it is to see all the great things people are doing with their Curlies already this year! Tv shows and dressage and trail rides oh my!

Sage and I have not done anything nearly that impressive, but we did get out there in the snowy weather today and in felt great to ride after more than a week of being too busy and having uncooperative weather.

We did some ground work first. I find that in the winter he can get a bit stiff in his hind end from his old SI injury, but that 10 minutes of warming up on a longe line takes care of everything and then it doesn't seem painful for him when I get on.




It's funny how it can take awhile for stuff to sink in; I took some lessons with a local trainer last winter and Sage and I really reached a new level of respect and lightness in both riding and groundwork. Funny how I've spent months over the summer and through the fall being so eager to get out and ride before it got dark that we went through many many rides with his steering being somewhat...unresponsive.

But over the past few weeks I've somehow magically remembered what our trainer would do when he got like that, and miracle of miracles, it still works even when she's not there to encourage us!





That means that both my last ride of 2010 and my first ride of 2011 (earlier today) were some of the best rides we've had in awhile. Talk about super responsive steering and a very respectful and focused horse! (Let's hope I didn't just jinx myself, right?)

Not only that, but it's really helped *my* focus to run through the exercises we were doing last winter, and as a result, I feel much more in control of how things are going. I'm learning that as soon as things seem to be going downhill, it doesn't mean it's time to put the pony away and give him his dinner; it means it's time to FOCUS more, and kick his butt into gear!!

Sage is happiest when I am a FIRM leader--he is a very bright boy and happy to take over and plot some harmless pony pranks if I let him. I adore Sage because he is so rarely spooky or dangerous but it is also true that when my mother videotaped us a few weeks ago sage was TOTALLY doing what he wanted to do, NOT listening to MY ideas! It was a good reminder to FIX IT before just rushing out there and we've been taking more time for groundwork ever since.





The other thing I noticed from doing groundwork was that I was much more relaxed when I got on. When it's snowing like it was today, it's not the time to haul out my leather Passier and let it get water spots. The past few times I've ridden bareback I've noticed that I felt a bit insecure at anything more than a walk, but today I felt totally comfortable powering along at a fast trot, and Sage's smooth gait was as easy to sit to as it should be. My legs hung nice and long and my seat followed his motion just like it should. :) It was such a good feeling and good feedback too from Sage; he will quit out of the trot in a heartbeat if he feels I am unbalanced or too tense.

I also used my el companero bareback pad which probably helped. A little cushioning in a waterproof suede bareback pad certainly doesn't hurt. :)


Josie decided she needed some attention today, and accosted me when I was intent on working with Sage. So...I let her 'win' and took her into the riding ring for some 'roundpenning.' (Meaning I use hand signals to send her in either direction and ask her to go faster or slower.)





She loves feeling like she has a job to do, and was so happy to be out there with me.Mules are even more opinionated than Curlies and today her opinion was that she was most important and she needed attention now!





She also needed to blow off some steam, and so she practiced some bucking and kicking skills which she feels are necessary parts of being an at liberty mule. I told her to get it out of her system now before I hop on!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Brie! I completely get what you mean about the lightness, focus etc. Sage sounds alot like Reese too. amazing what a little ground work does and I agree, it makes us calmer and more ready too. Good for you on the bareback riding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brie, I always love your posts; they are thought provoking and entertaining. Josie sounds like a card! I have a comfy bareback pad, too, and I love it. (Can't believe Denise gave it up) The horses are comfortable with it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Denise; I do think Curlies have a tendency to need a little leadership up front every single time unless they're worked very very consistently (and maybe even then). It really is amazing what ground work can do, especially when you are able to keep coming up with new and more progressive exercises for your overly smart curly to focus on. I know if I slack off and ask Sage to do the same boring things over and over again it can actually make things worse as he loses respect for me and tunes me out.

    Thanks Caren! I sure like him. :P

    And Susan, Josie is such a character. I hope you get to meet her someday when you're traveling through our area. :) And bareback pads are great, they really make all the difference for me.

    ReplyDelete