Friday, February 25, 2011

Building confidence

Today I took Voelie out of the field again. She was still a bit hesitant about getting her halter on but I managed to keep her quite calm. We did a lot of walking and backing up. I also practiced letting the leadline drop over her back and neck and on her legs so that she gets used to this and wont be scared by it. She was quite relaxed about it. We dit a bit of lungeing (only in walk) which was more difficult. She did not really understand that I wanted her to walk the whole circle but finally we managed. I also managed to get her trotting a bit in a straight line, she stayed nicely next to me so I was very happy about that.
We finnished with lost of scratches and hugs and just building trust and confidence. She seems to be quite a sensitive horse.
I am also happy to report that I found a Curly that I would like to buy for me to ride and we are now in the last stages of planning and arranging everything so hopefully if all goes well I will have more news on this front soon.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds you are getting back on track with Voelie, good job!
    How exciting you found a possible new curly, is he/she in the Netherlands?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the new Curly prospect Jessica!! I was reading something that might help with confidence with Voelie. It suggested going into her pasture and walking a little bit away from her then let her approach you. When she does, don't halter her, just spend time talking to her and rubbing her. Then leave and call it a day for the lessons. Might work - worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marion, she is not in the Netherlands (no Curlies for sale here). I am very exited too. Hope everything goes well and I will be able to enjoy soon!

    Donna, thanks for the tip. I try at the moment to only take Voelie out of the field 2 to 3 times a week. The other days I just go to feed and pet and scratch her. at these times she does follow me and everything is ok. She notices immediately when I have a halter and allthough it seems like she enjoys coming out of the field she does not like me to put the halter on. Now I usually just put a thick rope around her neck and hold that and have her walk along first. She is fine with this. Then I put the halter on. If I do it this way she seems less stressed then when I start by putting the halter on so I will try this for a while and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete