Monday, February 7, 2011

Riding in our RAC T-shirts!

Waaay back in January (29) we were fortunate to have 80 degree weather and decided to take Warrior's Cleopatra and Shaw Mead out on a trail ride at Bell Cow Lake. We are so lucky to have so many fine trails near us, but Bell Cow is the best! Only 6 miles away from about 50 miles of trail. Cody and I and the horses know these trails by heart and love to get away for a little bit to check out the changes. The city of Chandler has widened some of the trails and it was a beautiful day to ride. We surprised to see only about three other trailers and only met some endurance riders on the way in and back. I guess everyone else was smart and preparing for the upcoming snow!


Cleo and Shaw Mead were wonderful on the trail as usual - we had a great time looking for wildlife and saw several armadillos scurrying and rooting around the trail. There is a wonderful spot on the trail to graze and the horses automatically stopped expecting a break. Interesting how well we have trained them where the good grass is!
I had an issue with Shaw Mead wanting to trot down and up VERY small hills. I don't let Bruce trot on a hill unless I ask him because we ride in a lot of organized rides with green horses/riders and I like to be able to be slow when I want to. When a challenging hill approaches, everyone should take their turn and let the horses do what they need to do, but honestly, this was not the case on this ride. Anyone have any opinions on this?
I asked Cody to take flattering pics of me with my Iphone - we both wore our new RAC tshirts - but he still got me looking heavier than I think I am LOLOL.











On the way home I had to turn around and drive another route twice due to wildfires - Oklahoma wind and very dry foliage. It was pretty scary and I was glad to finally get on the turnpike and pay to get safe.
















Sooooo now we are in the really cold weather of February and in hibernating mode. I have not done any riding, just throwing out alfalfa instead of feeding grain and fighting with frozen water hoses. Horses don't seem to mind it a bit!





Wish us luck on our upcoming show on February 19th - we will be doing walk/trot, trail and horsemanship with......... not sure which horses:) I just printed out the AQHA rules for this show and was amazed that it was more than 200 pages. Surely they don't all apply to us, but we will figure it out. Please be safe and warm out there.

3 comments:

  1. You go from 89 degrees to snow and ice in less than a month???!!!! eeeek!
    You look slender as a twig in your RAC tees! :) I am glad you had fun, and I hope you can get out on the Bell Cow Lake Trails again soon.
    I think that if I saw an armadillo scurrying around that I would freak out, never mind my horse. I have only seen them in pictures. ~Susan in thigh-high Maine snow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that there are others who post their RAC blogs after-the-fact! It is just sometimes hard to fit it all in, plus we have been doing snow clean up at least twice a week since December!! And-- it's snowing again today! What I wouldn't give for a T-shirt day or two!!!
    Good luck at you show!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a change in weather. Amazing to see you riding in Tshirst in january! The counrty looks lovely, it's so great to have nice trails colseby to go riding!

    ReplyDelete