Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Grounded

The main topic around here is weather - for good reason.. there's been far too much of it !!  Saturday it snowed yet again most of the day, and then - rain, thunder and lightening. Sunday warmed up - then froze.. so Monday was no day to be riding out on the roads or trails with the major slip factor... We were grounded.

Zoe worked in the indoor with Splash and Elektra.

After I snapped some video and photo's of Zoe and Splash working - I discovered something handy about our bit warmers-- they make a very cozy nest for the camera while I am busy grooming and harnessing. There are times I lay the camera in the tack room and it gets so chilled, it won't take a picture.


I worked with a favorite coming 2 year old gelding smooth coated colt sired by our lovely OYY Salvadore out of a sweet mare who traveled south this past summer to help a young girl learn how to ride -- OYY Niobe. This is OYY Walkan Osier - but I have called him Ozzie since he was born. He's the image of his dad sans curls -- a red version of Sally with his Mom's quiet disposition. 

After our cross tie beauty session - we tried on several harnesses to see which one fits best and looks best.  This one is a collar harness, very fancy. The collar buckle is broken - but now I know it fits - we can use it after I fix it.  Ozzie is going to look sharp pulling something with this decorated harness and collar !

We ended up using a black nylon driving harness for our ground work down the driveway and out toward the road.  Ozzie was curious but at first not terribly forward about walking in front of me. Being the smart young man that he is however - he caught on quickly and picked up the gee and haw right away. 

it was icy so we took it easy - I did not want to get into a situation that would undo all our progress so far.  My rule has always been -- don't start something you can't finish properly.




We stopped at the mailbox several times - opened and closed it.. or rather I opened it, Ozzie closed it.

We only did walking today. At one point a huge avalanche of snow fell off the roof -- Ozzie barely flinched. 





Back on the cross ties for some final grooming...

I couldn't resist these photo's at the end - he's got such a big mane.



Ozzie is right around 12.1 right now.. but he has the mane to clothe a draft horse !


Can't wait to get him driving... When Ozzie sheds out - he's quite a fancy little sporty pony. 



Hopefully I'll find the time to repair the collar so next time Ozzie will be properly dressed and ready to pull !


Enjoy ~

11 comments:

  1. He is just precious, Betsy! What a gorgeous boy! The weather here has been TERRIBLE! After feet of snow it was topped with ice, now we are on our 3rd rain/freezing rain storm in the last 10 days. What a mess!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in the same boat as you michelle.. when is it going to stop ? Thank you for the compliments on Ozzie's behalf.. he is going to make some young rider a prince of a show horse OR -- a driving lover a super handsome driving pony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LoL...I think it should read, "The MANE topic!" ha ha. What a mane he has! So adorable Betsy! Looks like he has a great head on his shoulders. Really fun to see your other horses at work. Thanks for posting! Ozzie is cute, cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He has some kind of mane for sure! Funny that the s/c's seem to have SO much mane and their Curly counterparts do not LOL.
    How many times has he been harnessed, Betsy? How soon will you hitch him?
    Shelly in Summerland, BC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy, is Ozzie for sale? You didn't mention.

    He almost has as much mane as Al the Haffie! I just love that deep red color, very handsome. He has a lot of smarts and an even temperament to shut the mailbox - that is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that gorgeous Mane. Perhaps Ozzie thinks there's horse cookies in the mailbox?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Or is disgusted because there are not so he closes it! LOL Seal (CEELE) the s/c has mane like Ozzie so perhaps it is true about the s/c getting all that the curly curlies don't!
    I love how you do so much driving! And have a question ... we drive and talk to our horses constantly in large part because of this ... do you talk to your horses? We also get told it just confuses the horses to talk to them and they do not understand and this frustrates me as I believe anyone who has driven KNOWS you have to talk to the horse. What do you think?
    Ellen cheyenne, wy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ellen, I knew a teamster who actually taught week long boot camps in driving - he said NEVER talk to a horse -- WHAT ??? CRAZY -- I talk ALL the time to my horses... scolding, asking, ordering, praising and just plain talking.. horses are smart and I can't imagine it confuses them. it's especially nice for driving to be bale to talk -- since they are so far away from you in terms of any body contact.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ozzie is so cute and indeed lovely long mane! He looks really great in the driving harnass! Love the picture at the mailbox, so curious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot believe a teamster said that! Amazing! I have seen/heard drivers with 16 horse hitches and they move one specific horse by name and command. ANd what about the old Gee and Haw? Good to know you find it beneficial and I agree if a dog can learn commands a horse is every bit as smart! My boy walks, trots, canters, whoas, picksup a foot, backs, steps one step all on verbal no body!
    Ellen cheyenne, wy

    ReplyDelete
  11. First off, what a freakin gorgeous pony!! I have to agree with the verbal thing in that it definitely has value. Horses are very smart and can learn many verbal commands. I talk to Linus like he's going to answer me some days! I ask questions, I praise, reassure and of course ask for things. I ask verbally before I apply any physical aids. My favourite EOWQ horse pull team is lead by a man who only uses verbal commands. He is amazing and his team is always the calmest on the grounds. They back on command, settle on command and "git away" on command. It's a treat to see this level of communication.

    ReplyDelete