Monday, February 7, 2011

Short But Sweet

I had to work on our taxes on Sunday, but I finished up shortly before evening fell and was able to fit in a short but SWEET bareback ride on my beloved Didsy. He was so responsive and willing, and I think he enjoyed it as much as I did. I couldn't get the big barn doors open (froze shut), so we slipped out back into the paddock and followed the snow trails that the horses have made in their quest for hay and tree bark. The evening was still fairly warm ~ not still 40 as was previously reported by Laurie Lee ~ and AhD's back was toasty and comfy under my bareback pad. AhD likes that bareback pad. I think the next time I have company and am able to get back out on the trails, I am going to use it because I just love the closeness it allows between me and my good boy. We practiced softness and slight cues, and then I realized that at points where there was a choice in path, that he was being guided solely by my seat and leg! To say I was thrilled would be almost be an understatement, and I made sure that my pony knew just how happy I was with him every single time he responded well. He was still very sensitive to his surroundings. For example, he had to stop and notice how this section on the other side of the fence had just been plowed. He was also well aware of my husband shooting the breeze with our neighbor, but that didn't bother him one whit. He has a love/hate relationship with that tractor parked next to them, but he never even cast much of a glance at it because he was so in tune to me. We did backs, changes of pace, and lots of turns. We ended on a very satisfying note and I gave him a huge hug and lots of snuggles and rubs. He soaked it up. I am still on Cloud 9 about this little ride.
~Sidebar~ below please see my quilt (handmade by Donna!), a prize for being an avid RAC supporter. If you look closely, you can also see my Mini AhD (handmade by Marlene) and my old fashioned cloth doll with Curly hair (handmade by Barbara), also RAC prizes.
One might get the idea I like my horse and Curlies in general.... :) and I definitely enjoy this group of people on the RAC!
~Susan and *RCR Ah-D-Das in Maine~

5 comments:

  1. Susan-
    I think it is absolutely awesome the stuff you and Ah-D are doing this year. I am having so much fun reading about your different adventures and how you are able to work through some challenges so well. Keep up the great work and keep posting.
    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our thermometer read 40 at a little after noon when I looked at it to decide how many layers to wear and what coat! The sun was out and there was NO breeze. Even while we rode, that changed, because the wind came up, and later it got cloudier. But you're right, because it was still much warmer than we had been having! I LOVE the bedroom with all you Curly stuff. How nice that it all coordinates in color!! :-) Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE bareback riding, Susan! You are right, it has such a closeness to it, its my favorite way to ride (gosh I gotta get to riding again!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I miss bareback riding now that I dont have a riding horse! It is so great to be able to go for a nice ride without needing a saddle! I love your mini Curly and cloth doll with Curly hair. Is it AhD's hair in the mini curly and doll?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you Jessica, I miss riding too!! But, we're fast approaching that stage. Susan, the quilt looks awesome with your style of bed!! Love your menagerie. I'd love to go on a bareback ride with you someday!

    ReplyDelete