Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Valentine Treats

The day could not have been better even if we had been movie directors and hauled the weather and the scenery in !!  You know the saying -- come hell or high water... and that's how Zoe and I felt. We were riding NO MATTER WHAT -- and we were SO fortunate.  The day began as slightly overcast - with some threatening 'blackness' in the distance - but once we got a few miles out, the sun fought its way out. To feel that warm sun on our backs was heaven !!

BUT -- first things first... we started the day with a short photo shoot of our ribbons.  This was really the first day I felt warm enough to stand and pose.   Keri and I are proud again of our accomplishments :)  Two old girls just hoofing our way through.

This brings me to a slightly off topic topic--- I am adding to my riding goals.  I received an e-mail from CVDA (Central Vermont Dressage Ass'n) sharing news of a long running program called the Century Club !  The combined ages of horse and rider must equal 100 years or more. I did the calculation.. and Keri and I can compete in this and win a ribbon and plaque in 10 years !!  I'll be 71, she'll be 29.  So there's a long term goal... :) Plenty of time to practice those fancy dressage movements :)


Elektra was Zoe's choice for her riding partner for Valentine's Day -- so she posed with her with her medal and ribbons.  Poor Mister "T" missed out on the spot of glory today. He certainly earned part of the prizes !




Here comes some sun... but it's early yet in the day for that penetrating warmth we felt later in the ride.

The town of Chester always sands the roads a lot heavier than our town of Springfield.  The route we picked for today combined a lot of back Chester dirt roads and some paved for faster safe moving.



An alternate view of our trot down Flamstead Road - Crow Hill farm nestled in the mountains.









Neither of us could stop exclaiming how GOOD the sun felt !!  it seemed like ages since we have experienced that golden blue sunshine.  The roads are even beginning to get muddy in spots !!





This is Green Mountain Turnpike - back in stagecoach times - this was a toll "road". It is still lined with the old inns which are now houses and Bed and Breakfasts. Along this road - a warm wind blew and teased us into thoughts of spring. I was wondering if this is what a 'chinook' is like ?





We reach the turn where the Roman-Way Farm is.. this is the farm to which Zoe referred...  I don't think they have 800 cows-- but more than 400 I know that. It's quite an obstacle with cows bellering and clanking in their stanchions.  There was a big barn collapse here 2 weeks ago... this year has been bad for that -- too much snow, not enough warmth to have the snow slide.







Here's one of the loafing sheds .. they line the little back road one right after the other.






We had previously discussed to trot up Whitney Road if it looked decent enough for travel when we arrived at the turn-- and how fortuitous is this ? Just as we reached our turn -- the sand truck is finishing up spreading the entire route !








This little road is perfect for riding and driving -- beautiful views, lined the entire way with stately maples. How much more typically Vermont can you get ?







One of the views out on my right.  We travel over and through those mountains often.





We are taking photo's of each other.



What a spectacular day !!  This gives me the little boost to make it through the rest of winter and dreary cold days.






Here we are coming down Lacross Road--  I always feel as though I am on a high spot when I look out from my farm... but from here... it seems as though the farm is in a valley. Lacross is the high spot.

The dark clouds are gathering... Our taste of springtime is over... winter returns but what an outstanding Valentine's Day !

Enjoy ~

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you two had a lovely ride! Anastasia and I never seem to get out for those long rides in the winter. Great the weather cooperated - what a bonus.
    Shelly in Summerland, BC Canada

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous ride - thanks for sharing... sometimes those overcast days need a good friend and trail day to make them brighter{:>

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a GREAT post! As usual, I feel like I am right there with you, enjoying the scenery. I'm so glad you got a taste of that warm weather. You are Keri are looking GOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful ride...as is the norm for you two! just love to see everything your horses will go through, past or over on a ride. its great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratualtions to you guys!!!!!! I LOVE the Century goal!!!

    ReplyDelete