Wednesday, February 23, 2011

*Snowman

Hello all,
I was away for the weekend and then I was just getting back to work and mangled my finger on the fence - have horses long enough, it happens..... enough about that!

Yesterday though, I needed to get hair samples from a few horses to send with their registration papers - yes, I am late sending them in - it is tough to keep up with everything!  It seemed like a good thing to get done when I wasn't working horses...

So I did photos and hair samples on four horses, the last one was my rising two year old colt *Snowman's Magic - normally he is a good boy - pretty easy to handle and mannerly - in fact here are a couple of photos of him with Anastasia a week or so ago:

But for some reason, yesterday, *Snowy decided I was scary and, no, he would not be caught.  This meant that I did get to do some ground work with a horse yesterday - here he is steadfastly walking away lol:
Sometimes a horse will observe something going on and make their own assumptions about it and once that happens it can change their perception about people and/or other things. * Snowy must have seen my "little altercation" the day before with the other horse and it changed his opinion about whether I was scary or not.  I find this really fascinating!  Anyhow, what it meant was that I had to get him into a pen and then do some approach and retreat with him and finally I discovered that he was afraid of my gloves, so we worked through that and then I was doing some "friendly" with him and oh boy was the end of that rope scary LOL.  So we worked through that, regained some confidence with each other, I pulled the mane hairs that I needed and called it a day. 

I was planning on doing more ground work with him anyway - I was waiting for the snow to melt a bit more though.  He is rising two and he will be going to breed demos and exhibitions and he will also be used with a few mares this spring, so I needed to get him more training anyway.  So I will start a bit sooner and do just a little bit every day or two.  Once the ring is clear though, more serious stuff will follow!
Shelly in Summerland, BC Canada
http://www.curlystandardplace.com

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Snowman looks good! good tip to immediately do the groundwork when a horse walks away and does not want to be caught!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes - it is a very good idea - the problem will be much less today I am sure!
    Shelly in Summerland, BC Canada

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a handsome Head Snowman has!! The pic with him steadfastly walking away ...his eye is totally on you!!! I love navigating the different logic of each horse's mind!! And ooo So different they all are!!! How did you find it was your gloves that was oooo So Scary??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shelly....sorry to hear of your finger. The silver lining is that it helped you to get some of that paperwork done:) Snowman looks fabulous!! That was a great lesson for all of us to learn. Looking forward to watching his training progress this year.

    ReplyDelete