Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Neosha Show = Ribbons and Great Weather!






Last weekend, February 19th, Cody and I attended the first Neosha show of the year in Purcell, Oklahoma. We brought Warrior's Cleopatra and Shaw Mead and entered in the open classes - walk/trot, western pleasure and trail.


This was our second show and we are definitely on a learning curve. The staff and other competitors were very helpful and friendly. I have to add that the weather was beautiful after a week of cold and snow, we had a light breeze and about 76 degrees!


These local shows are held once a month and follow the AQHA rules. I downloaded the whole rulebook without looking at the number of pages and pressed print. Yikes! About 100 pages later, I have a book.......


Our first class was walk/trot with quite a few entrants. We warmed up outside and the horses were really busy looking at the other horses, trailers, tack, dogs, etc.... I realized that I would have to show Shaw Mead in a shank bit:( using one hand only. This novice rider who learned to ride English decades ago had a little trouble getting used to this, but Shaw Mead was a trooper and I worked very hard to keep out of her mouth and keep my head up! Why use a shank when a snaffle will do?, but I don't make the rules.


Both the horses were quite a bit quicker at the walk and trot that the competitors, but we placed 4th and 5th. I was glad to keep my hand(s) in the right place and not get disqualified.


I opted out of the western pleasure class and Cody and Cleo went on to win 2nd place! I was so proud of them. We really don't want the "peanut rolling" movement, and Cleo slowed down, collected and looked fabulous.


The trail class was fairly easy, but the horses were rather tired or bored waiting around. Cleo placed 2nd, but we both thought that she could have done a little better.


The AQHA judge stopped to talk to us after the show, asked about the curlies and really liked both horses. It is always fun to introduce and impress people with the curlies - we had a blast and will attend again. We did well in our working saddles (we were the only riders without silver on our saddles)and nice, but plain clothes.


Cody took the camera back to Chandler before I could download photos and I took one pic of myself with my iphone. Looking forward to getting back on the trail next weekend. Hugs to everyone and their horses - be safe!


Adena






7 comments:

  1. How exciting! I've thought about showing, but that's as far as I've gotten and probably won't get any further, so I have alot of respect for people who get out there and do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Adena!!!! What a great way to promote the breed!! Cant wait to see the other photos! I have several friends that show and it is a JOB in itself just getting everything there and ready!!!! Great Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the show success!! A friend of mine is trying to talk me into it this year with Linus...my only show experience though is with cattle so I'm really not sure about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go Adena and Cody!!!! 76 degrees? Sounds heavenly! Sometimes that learning curve is steep, especially in a new discipline but at some point you hit the crest (or so I've heard--I'm still on the uphill climb.) LOL on the "book" you printed....been there!:~) I agree, a snaffle would do just fine....who makes up these rules and what exactly is the purpose? But you and Shaw Mead went to town in such large classes. Cody and Cleo totally rocked. And the judge loved it. Awesome. Congratulations to all 4 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congradulations! Sounds like a great achievement! I agree with Krissy and would like to see more of your pictures of the show! I know about the rule books, lots of rules and lots of pages!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations -- I know what you mean about competing western with the Curlies. We had a mare in western pleasure for a summer of shows- she did well but never did get that peanut rolling thing... nor did we really want her to either - like you. Nice job !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job! Kudos to you for getting out there and doing it!

    ReplyDelete