Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Curly girls day


Finally Horse day. There was a lot going on here and I feel I haven’t done anything with the horses for months. But today was beautiful and I worked 4 horses. Mallie and Kayla where the curly’s so it was a girls day.
First I took Mallie for a looong walk, vieuw I lost some calories. I took her on the trail and on the open fields we did some groundwork. First we had to pass the boys field everybody said hi, and it is amazing how Freedom and Mallie still are so attached to each other. Lydiker our colt showed some interest too which is great.
I hope to breed him to Mallie

She is very fast and very athletic. At one point she decided ok enough I am going back. She puts her tail in the air and wanted to take of. However she is very sensitive and very responsive so I luckily did not had a very hard time to keep her in control.
I was very proud of her, but I think she will be a handful when the time is there to teach here the riding part. She is so fast but wow she can trot. I took her is the stall and dewormed here and gave her some treat. My sweet Mallie she makes me proud.







Kayla was next. She will be 17 this year and has not been handled very much, only as a broodmare.
We only have her since December and I was told NEVER leave her in a big field without a halter because you can never catch her again. Her halter was in her cheeks and I don’t like halters on horses in the field ( or in a stall for that matter) so I took it off. Well I called her and approached her not directly and she actually came to me and I could halter her with no problem at all, I was so proud of her.


Then we had to go true the gate of the electric fence and she could hear the ticking. She was scared and backed up. I just let her go and walked back with her and we tried again. This time she looked at me and walked right beside with me…wow that made me even more proud. I brushed here and dewormed her (which is not easy) and brought her back to the field with Mallie. As you can see here belly is still growing so I still think she is having a foal. She looks a lot better since she came to us and I think she’ll be ok. I am very excited we still having a foal, since our quarter mare lost hers unfortunately.



Well I am glad to be back however we got a flood warning for tomorrow and this weekend so we need to get the flippers back on and turn into curly seahorses.

Marion, Kentucky
Hidden Cave Ranch

7 comments:

  1. Hello Marion....lovely day for a gals outing! So Mallie has some boy friends? No wonder, she is a head turning red head. Hope Freedom doesn't get too jealous when Lydiker becomes her beau! Funny how they like to test the boundries....wonderful that she is sensitive and responsive. How rewarding to have Mallie come to you to be haltered....hmmm...says wonderful things about how you are treating her! And her trusting you to get past that man..errr horse eating fencer. Definitely something to be proud of. YEAH!!! Keep us posted about her foal....put some water wings on her;~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marion,

    Your Curly girls look great! Amazing that Kayla now lets you put her halter on and walks past the fence with you, she really trusts you! Do you have any idea when the foal is due?
    Mally looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The people where she was when we took her said she excaped for an hour and was with the stud and IF she was in foal she is due somewhere in April. They also said I could not put her in a stall even if it's very big because she killed her foal before in a stall. But evrything bad they said about her turned out to be not so true. But I still have not decided where we let her give birth, or if I put her up during the night.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look wonderful, Marion. They look very trustful. Thanks for caring for them sooo very good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marion ~ Isnt it AMAZING what love can accomplish with these creatures!!! It is so OBVIOUS in the front picture of Kayla that she KNOWS how much you care about her!!! Have you thought of names for the foal yet??? We have rain...snow...melt...grrrrrr....Im so ready for spring! Curly water horse hugs equine sista

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous redheads! Sounds from what you are saying that everything they told you about that mare was maybe caused by themselves...she looks like she trusts you and sure sounds that way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kayla looks fantastic, Marion! Thank you so much for taking those horses on, you are their savior! Kayla has so much trust in you, its quite obvious. And Mallie is a lovely girl, I LOVE that first shot! I have a few pictures from that angle, I love them!

    ReplyDelete