Friday, February 25, 2011

New Boys on the Block



We have been waiting on foals for a few weeks now. OYY Tippateena and Ahmet -- this year they are best friends due right around the same time.  Tippy delivered first - on Saturday - a very nice chunky large dark palomino colt sired by ride/drive stallion, OYY Finnegan.  Finn has yet to create a filly, but that's OK - the Curly world needs more using geldings anyway. 

I love this fellow ! He could not be more perfect - and can't wait to get him out next to Mom with the cart, just as Tippy did with her Mom. 



He must have a bit of the sabino gene in him - with that pink nose and lip.  OYY Brave Ulysses is his name -- and he is brave... Kokopelli might have been an apt name for him as he is a trickster/clown for sure.  Yesterday, the Moms were in the larger paddock with their babies - and Ulysses just HAD to touch everything with his nose and lips and he is already flipping feed tubs around at 4 days old.

In the mornings, I put the mares and babies out for morning sun - and both foals are so well behaved already for leading out of the stall - through the barn and into the paddock.


 Ahmet has traditionally foaled within an hour or so of her best friend of that year.   Tippy foaled early Saturday morning -- Ahmet kept me waiting until early Monday morning to present her colt ... a break from custom .. Finn's first non cream offspring - this colt is a deep red and Ahmet's first non-bay. He's like a Daddy Long Legs... and his ears are, I believe, the longest ears on any foal I've ever seen. I always call lengthy ears the  " locator ears " ..  as they work like radar and with these ears, Tamborine Man will never get lost.  He has the big soft eye I love, very alert and sparkly. I knew when he arrived, Zoe was going to love him. Ahmet is the dam of OYY Elektra by the way and two other outstanding horses already off in their new homes.  Wednesday, we had enough afternoon melt to be able to take the boys down the driveway safely without ice.  We have had plenty of sun this week, but the air is still frigid... no sap running yet - too cold.








 Brave Ulysses - What a handsome fellow ! He's 3 days old here. Already walking down the driveway with Mom getting used to "stuff".












Ulysses embodies a lot of horsey memories for me -- on his sire's side - Ulysses goes back to my first curly mare who I rode and loved for years. On his dam's side - my first much loved driving mare who gave me many great curly offspring. For the lucky person who buys him, he'll be an outstanding driving horse -or of course riding mount :)







I say -- good job Tippy.. he's worth the long wait.

Notice his lovely mane, looks like it's going to be red like mom's.

Here's some video of the two boys' afternoon training session/expedition into some of the new world.





Today we're experiencing a white out -- but it's what they call sugar snow so it's nothing to fret about I guess... at this time of year, more snow does not last long.  I don't think the boys will go out today though so it will be a boring day for them in the stall.

Enjoy ~

5 comments:

  1. Those babies are just so very cute! I just Love that big white blaze. That is good that you start them early with little lessons in life. Can't wait to watch them grow as the months go by.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These foals are so cute! Can't resist the cute look of a Curly foal! And allready walking along with you, what a good lesson for them. I love the locator ears:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your description of the ears!! And who could resist that big blaze!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, man, I am a sucker for a big white blaze! Handsome colts! You must be proud. Doing well in their lessons already, too.

    ReplyDelete