Wednesday, February 9, 2011

I went Gallumphing!

I think that's what you called it!

On Saturday Abby and I braved the 16 inches of snow together. I really wanted to ride in the snow a little bit to help build her endurance. She was a blast! The first part was plowed but once we got to the snow she charged right in. Now she is pushing 14.2 but has fairly long legs the snow was still up to her knees.
I took it slow cause I wanted to make sure she could lift her legs up enough. The snow was still quite fluffy and she had no troubles walking through it. We went up a hill and down a hill and then turned back down the field. She seemed to be liking it so I ask for a little more and BOOM we Galloped. I was laughing hysterically cause it was so fun. This was also our first time going this fast outside, not that Abby would be bad without the snow but I didn't have to worry about her bolting.
Aftewards I rode Theo in the arena for awhile. I was planning on having Natalie jump him on Sunday so I wanted to get him some practice (it had been almost a whole week without being rode!) I set up a little jump set and had the great idea to see how high we could go.
One foot cross rails, solid tube, jumping cavelleti no problem.
Two feet Theo forgot how to jump...
I think he was getting a bit tired by this point so I'm not going to totally blame him but he stopped right before the jump, jumped over it with his front legs and then hopped over it with the back. It was not funny at the time but now that I look back he was just showing me his awesome skills at balancing on two feet. I think I will let Natalie do the higher jumping with him since she actually jumps :-) I will stick to smaller jumps and Dressage...

As of tomorrow there is only 9 weeks until the Horse Fair so I need this weather to warm up so I can really get some good riding in!

Well until next time Theo, Abby, and Blaine

6 comments:

  1. I call it snow gallumphing.. but your description fits just as well !! Glad you had fun in the snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that is what I meant I knew I saw it somewhere before!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love snow gallumphing!!! And my dressage instructor told me it is a great exercise for building up muscles. So it has a dual purpose fun and great work out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is so fun to charge around in the snow! Get some pictures next time!
    Shelly in Summerland

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I call it "bulldozing" because that is what it feels like, but by any name it is definitely fun for the human and harder work for the horse. Dream usually likes it but was none too pleased with me when I got her in up to her chest. If your feet in the stirrups are on the top of the snow, you've gone too deep! :-) I remember a picture that Susan L. posted once when she got AhD stuck even deeper than his chest, and as I recall she just rolled off her saddle laughing! Laurie in Me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is freedom, isn't it? We did that last winter, we had so much fun! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete