Saturday, February 12, 2011

Company AND Groomed Trails!!!

Not only did my niece Kara come over again for a ride, but we scoped out the groomed snowmobile trails across the road to find they were LOVELY! It was heaven out there. It was probably in the 20’s, slightly overcast, but definitely wonderful to be out and about in the refreshing woods of Maine on my beloved Didder. He was soooo well behaved, barely bratty at all. The trails were packed so hard that the horses actually had to be very careful on the downhills because it was slickery. We saw a good amount of deer sign. Kara could not get over how very beautiful it was, having never even known these private trails are there. (I think I have mentioned before, I have AWESOME neighbors). We walked carefully down the “Running Hill” and on towards the brook that would mark the turnaround spot…but lo and behold, when we got there, the snowmobile bridge was completely covered in tough, thick groomed snow! I dismounted, checked it out, and across we went! I was thrilled to say the least, and now have quite a bit of trail to ride while awaiting spring.

We walked and trotted along. At one point, I could hear snowmobilers coming up behind us at a good clip, but luckily we were at a decently visible point and they slowed right down as we skedaddled out of the way. Good people.

AhD gave me some really nice trots and canters today. He did the “whoop-whoop” in his belly a few times as he held himself in an oh-so-proud frame, but he never shook his head or speeded up faster than I asked.

Except when Kara and Al were in front of us, he wore his happy ears. What a joy my Curly is to me, and what a fantastic ride we had today.A special thank you to Denise Conroy for sending my 2010 Reserve Champion vest & rosette. I love this vest, and now it means even more to me because I notice that it matches my dear friend Betsy’s.

8 comments:

  1. Looking good Susan !! We are going to try to get out on the trails .. our roads are glare -- and it's so darn cold.. I can't believe you are just in your vest today -- brrrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAYYYYY!!! You both look awsome!! Prince Didder's rosette is totally him!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Susan, what a nice ride! How wooly Diddier looks, and how nice the rosette looks on him! Looks like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at you! Pretty enough to be in the show ring with your fancy breeches and lovely vest! =] lol. You look GREAT! Man, AHD is like micro curly isn't he? He looks dapper sporting his ribbon too! Whose beautiful house is that on the hill? What a gorgeous area. The east has such charm, doesn't it? I am SO happy for you & Didder...another awesome ride under your belt! =]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Denise, yes I decided to color coordinate to model the vest. :) Those are the Miller breeches I bought from you. Betsy, I layered FLEECE underneath the vest to stay comfy. I look forward to hearing about your trail ride!!! Prince Didder is very micro-curly and wooley this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Curly vest looks great on you!
    The views are lovely and good that Didder behaved so well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the shot of the snow-covered barefoot hoof :-) What a perfect way to see the weight-bearing areas of the hoof!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking great!! Didder is so proud looking sporting his ribbon..and so he should be. He sure earned it. Way to go

    ReplyDelete