Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Soft and listening

Well, I am now almost recovered from this "awful" cold I had!
First of all I have to tell a little story about *Tess - I was feeding some of the horses their grain and my barn cat Oliver came out with me.  *Tessa was "grooming" him on the head - first she was wiggling her upper lip on his head and then she was giving him little bites on the head (very gently!), he loved it!  Another horse came over and *Tess put her ears back and chased the other horse away - it was so cute!

So about my "ride" :) I took *Tessa over to the indoor arena and my time working with her over the past few weeks is really paying off!  She was a bit snorty on the way over (normal for her lol) if a person didn't know her, the snorting could be worrisome, but she just talks a lot - *Joe is like this as well....
Anyhow...at the end of the driveway there were about 5 or 6 deer browsing around - she had a good snorty look at them and then I showed her that she could actually chase them and she thought that was pretty cool - I'll make a cow horse out of her yet!  We tiptoed over very icy footing to the indoor and then I lunged her - she was awesome!  Then I got on and the owner of the arena showed up and I chatted with her for a while - this was a great opportunity for us to "just sit there" - one of the toughest things for *Tess!  She was very good, but she kept turning her head around and looking at me to see if I really wanted to stand here this long LOL.

So after that we worked, started out walking and did many soft walk/halt transition and since she was so good today I decided to do some trotting as well.  Same, nice and soft and working well.  We did a bit of cantering too - I am so pleased to say that I have my girl back!  She has a really great work ethic and it is starting to show now - I am really happy!
I didn't get any pictures today - but I will share one of us doing dressage together a few years ago - we are going to really WOW em this year!
Shelly in Summerland, BC Canada
http://www.curlystandardplace.com

5 comments:

  1. That is so cute mum that Tess was grooming and protecting Oliver. I didn't know they had such a relationship LOL Really reminds you of Babe doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think of that, but yes, more like her mom every day :) She was really really good today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Tess look beautiful together!!!! LLOLL at her and the deer!!! I love the fact she was grooming the kitty!!! Thank you for sharing that heart warming image!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow that is so special that Tessa is grooming your cat! I have never seen a horse grooming a cat but it sounds so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelly,I am a big dressage fan as well. I simply love your picture and I love riding dressage myself. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete