Monday, February 7, 2011

A Day In The Ring

Instead of A Day in the Life-the Beatles song I had a day in the ring. After finishing with the monthly progress notes for the riding center it was time for BCF Splash Dancer and I to have a little date for some ring work. For those who are new to the RAC or the curly world, BCF Splash Dancer comes from Lisa Wytiaz's breeding at Bash Curl Farm. Last May he arrived at my mother's farm and we have been working together on and off since then in preparation for this summer's showing season. During his off time he has bred a few mares, one being Elektra's grand-dam Lilly who has produced many winners.

Over the past few months I have been alternating weekly lessons on Splash and Elektra so that I may can hopefully bump up my scores in the dressage ring. On other off times during the week we practice what we have worked on. Splash is a very willing boy who really wants to please. My instructor has never before worked with a curly and has been so impressed with both Splash and Elektra. She loves Splashes movement and attitude. If I had not told her he was a stud she never would have guessed. When we are working he does not call or even become distracted by the girls who like to stand near the door to the indoor and watch.

During our time together we are working on lateral movements to prepare him for the higher levels and also build his butt and back muscles so that he can better push from the hind extend his trot for a longer period and tolerate sitting trot longer. He knows how to do all this but has just lost some of his muscles tone in the growing he has done since he arrived. He has really started to bulk up as curlies tend to do in their last year or two of growing. He is still a little heavy on the front but some of that I think comes from me and still learning ow to really push him back on his hind and use the power he has back there.

I am working on my seat, sitting up straighter in the saddle, bending and softening my elbows. As you can see from this picture I still have to practice the elbow thing some more. It has been a great experience for me to have someone on the ground helping me through some of the steps I felt stuck on. I have worked hard over the past year or two to really improve my riding but during this past summer felt like I had reached a plateau that I was just not able to move forward on without some help. By taking the time weekly to have lessons I really feel like I am able to help show the curlies in a much stronger light. And since my instructor feels like I have already gotten rid of all my 6's in the different dressage tests I am moving forward well.

And after our first lesson my instructor has completely forgotten about Splash's tail or lack there of. She has become so impressed with his movement and attitude that the tail means nothing to her any more. Plus who could not love that nice round hiney.

After I was done with my Splash session it was time to get Elektra and practice what we have been learning together. She went fantastic and is also beginning to learn more lateral movements. She has really begun to lift up under her self and is learning that being quiet does not mean she has to lumbar around but instead is gaining quite a spring to her step and is using the length of her legs to really reach out and have some nice long steps. Laurie Lee-I may need you to come back with your metronome because I am not sure Elektra has the same beats she had this summer, she certainly doesn't feel like she does.

7 comments:

  1. Very interesting! I know virtually nothing about dressage, so I enjoyed reading this very much. Thanks, Zoe! Wish we lived closer so I could see you in a couple of shows this summer. Has Splash Dancer grown taller since last summer, or just bigger and more mature? He is quite handsome, and I bet the Splash Dancer x Lily foal is going to be EXTREMELY special! When is it due?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splash is a beauty! I like the idea of lateral movement building the butt - Shaw Mead and All the Way May will benefit from exercises like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, is he ever gorgeous! He really reminds me of my mum's stallion *Sandman. Very similar look. I will be looking forward to seeing him in tests this coming year :) I ride dressage as well and I know how hard it is to "fix" your position. Really, it takes years!!! Great job Zoe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is looking great Zoe - send LOTS more pictures!
    Shelly in Summerland, BC Canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great on Splash. You two will sure stand out in the show ring! It is very hard for even a long time dressage rider to do it ALL without having at least a knowledgeable "spotter" on the ground! I'm glad that you are taking some lessons for that reason! The lateral movements are great muscle builders! Do you ever get a chance to read? If so, I have a book I'll send you! I can't wait to see those Splash babies!! Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, great pictures, Splash looks super and ideed you don't miss his tail at all!
    I am also a dressage rider and it's always nice to see someone else also riding dressage! Good luck getting your points higher this season but with all the training and lessons that should be no problem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another Dressage rider! I am feeling "stuck" at the moment and can't find anyone to come to my barn for lessons so I know what you went through. Splash really can reach those front legs! What lateral movements are you learning?

    ReplyDelete