Monday, February 28, 2011

Lessons with the boys and Cody's trip to the big barn

Spent sunday morning getting Cody and the trailer ready for his trip to the barn. He will be getting his introduction to the indoor arena and crowds (as much as we can muser up) and other horses this week before leaving Friday morning for the Illinois Horse Fair.

From the patio doors on our house I could see that the five mini stallions, Cody and Affie (SC coming 2 year old) were at about the furthest point from the barn that they could possibly have been. They were all basking in the morning sun in their favorite spot along the tree line on the "pond".

Once behind the barn I could not see them, but gave a good call out for them. I just love that Cody and Affie come when called....well most of the time!

OK, the mini's are a quicker at figuring things out, so Passport and Quest were the first to come running....I am sure they thought they were getting a BIG treat and headed for a nicely bedded stall. Sorry boys! I called again and here comes Champ. Now I am hoping the big boys are sleeping not ignoring me.

All of a sudden I hear the muffled thunder of hooves crunching thru the snow and finally see Cody and Affie headed to the barn. Yes. Either they were listening OR they suddenly realized they had been left behind by all the minis! I gave them 1/2 the barn aisle, hay and water, and opened two stalls....they decided the aisle was much better.

Go figure...in front of the barn, the pasture gate has been open for some time and frozen that way. Although I managed to get it closed I could not lock it as the post on the far side was heaved upward by the frozen ground just enough so that the latches would't meet. Silly me...I thought that would be sufficient to keep the girls out of the barn. Joke's on me! The ever curious and clever Matte (a daughter of Chip and Kwis) managed to nudge and pull the gate towards her to let herself, Kwis and Mary into the barn to see the boys. And we, generally, worry about the boys around here! LOL!

Fortunately the boys are young, Kwis is due to foal in a couple of weeks, and neither Matter nor Mary are in heat. Everyone exchanged a few squeals and stomps over the aisle gate, then broke out into a little grooming session before I broke up the party thinking this would be a great time work with the boys.

As I put the girls back into the barn pasture, Cody became pretty full of himself, snorting and stomping, realizing that he is the BIG guy on campus now and those girls are pretty darn attractive not to mention this new chemistry he was feeling!!!

I had him back from the gate in the aisle...which turned into a respect my space lesson. Once haltered, I him took him out of the barn. We had a session on whoa, stand, back just a few feet from the girls. It took him awhile to settle down--those girls were doing something to him and you could see the gears turning in that head of his! He wanted to listen, but something was going on...testosterone!! It was pretty amusing. He would initially listen to me but the action was short lived. Then suddenly he would look at me with those soft eyes and apologize going back to Mr. Obedient. I was very proud of his attention to me as I have not even had him in a halter for over a month....maybe almost two....and those girls were SO distracting. I am so happy no one was in season or this could have been a much more difficult session. Positive experience for all of us.

Dan was busy checking tire pressures on the trailer and truck, so I had additional time to work Affie. He is turning out to be a little guy....unless somewhere along the line he has a major growth spurt. But he is sweet as they come. Always wanting to please and a good scratch. We did the same routine as Cody, but Affie was more into the baby talk, not the "Yes, I am a stud" mode. His attention span started out short, so we moved further off the fence line and that seemed to work wonders. He was no longer concerned in expressing his submission to the gals. LOL! I tell you this boy was a pistol a year ago. It was like working with an cross between an octopus and a bucking bronco trying to pick up his hooves. I have to thank my farrier, Tom for help there. He has been a God send with a few of my attitude busters. Affie has been a gentleman since. Now that Cody is gone it will be a great opportunity for me to take him out daily and get with the consistency program.

Cody loaded like a charm. Initially he showed some concern leaving the girls. He stopped just before stepping in to release a nervous load then called out a "don't forget me girls" as he jumped into the trailer. Once in it was another story. I haven't had him in the trailer in over a year....and then it was only in and out in and out in teaching another gelding to load. He wanted the out part again!

And once at the barn he was a handful. Fortunately Mauricio was there to assist. I wish I had remembered to take out my phone and video him as he strutted to the new barn. I guess I was too busy watching my mellow boy look like a hot stud floating over the ground. It was quite impressive. Dan and I were in such a rush that I didn't even remember to take a photo of him in his new digs.

I will be at the barn today, so will get some photos and/or video of his first arena experience....hopefully more to come!

3 comments:

  1. Nice story to read during my lunchtime! :) You have a way with words; I can picture the reactions of your horses. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your boys in the barn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Susan....didn't get any photos today...but they all got a nice grooming. Attempting to get everyone ready for this weekend. I didn't realize that here will be 18 horses going down there (13 from the barn) so Thursday will be crazy with everyone attempting to get their horses primped and keeping them clean until Friday and Saturday. LOL...I was looking at sleezy's(sp?) today as they are using a different shaving in the barn and it is really static....and will all the curls you can imagine the mess! PROMISE to take photos tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your post, great story about your horses! I agree with Susan that you are good with words! Keep posting, I really enjoy reading.

    Good luck with all the grooming!

    ReplyDelete