Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Stand

As mentioned in my last post, Linus and I had some homework to do with "standing". Today presented a perfect opportunity to spend the time with him on this while I was out waiting on a cow to calve! He was first tied up and groomed. I cannot believe how much he is shedding already! He thoroughly enjoyed the grooming as usual and listened well to my "move over" cues. Then it was time to look after those hooves. After their big trim yesterday they were a tad tender today. I can't remember if I mentioned that we had to stretch the farrier visit longer than normal. Anyway, Linus was much better behaved today. Take your pick as to why. The weather was better. There was one person with him, not 4. I was handling him, not the man he sees once every 8 weeks. Or it could be none of the above...or all of the above. He was nevertheless, very good for me today. I scraped, brushed and coated each hoof. When I felt him start to shift his weight I said "stand" in a firm voice. He was good with this and remembered it from our driving training. When his feet were taken care of I moved out to the middle of the pen (too icy to leave it again today) and we continued to work on "stand". This time with me gradually increasing the space between us. He was half asleep in the sunshine but caught on quickly despite only wanting to rest with his head on my shoulder!

5 comments:

  1. That's a good practice to have him standing and waiting for a while. I still need to do this with Voelie but I myself am not confient enough after a bad experience with a previous horse hanging and breaking a post, halter and everything I myself get too nervous about tying a horse but it's definately a goal for this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, have you seen those breakaway halters with the leather crowns? They are awesome. I have two, but I need to replace the crowns because they wear out after a while.
    Donna, sometimes I think you should change careers to Apprentice Horse Trainer. You can come to my house and practice on Prince Didder anytime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, I have seen a type of breakaway halter (I don't know if it is the same type) in the store but always wondered if it would work. I wonder if the horse learns he/ she can break the halter if it is effective or if the horse will continue trying to break the halter. Have your horse broken the halter before? Any ideas on this are welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny you should say that Susan - on a french project in school back in elementary I said I wanted to be a horse trainer when I grew up, lol. I guess in a way I am, of Linus.
    Jessica with Linus still what I say is learning to stand still I do not go out of his sight when he is tied. He is always playing with the lead rope and once wrapped it around his head and panicked. Thankfully he listened to me asking him to stand I fixed the situation fast. I halter break our young heifers too and I never let them out of sight until they have learned how to move with the rope. I think its a great goal for you to have and I'm sure it will build your confidence. I don't worry too much about Linus being tied, I just want to see the patience with standing.

    ReplyDelete