Monday, February 14, 2011

Farrier

Today was also hoof day for Linus. He too, was not on his best behaviour. I think there were several factors contributing to this though. He was having a few cracks cut out before they got worse and was a bit tender. He normally gets worked before the farrier comes so that the jitters are out of him. I know it shouldn't matter but he's a youngster and tends to be full of himself to start the day. Finally, it was raining and turned everything to ice so I couldn't have taken him out to his pasture for a run anyway. He was like a kid being kept in from recess. We do have some homework in putting stuff on his hooves for a little while and keeping the cut out areas nice and clean so Linus will be getting much practice in learning to stand quietly. I'm really hoping that by the next farrier visit he will be more on top of his manners and ready to stand still like a nice boy for Bruno.
Bruno also could not believe again this time how tall Linus is getting. I promise I do not sneak Miracle Gro into his feed!! So, tomorrow we will be starting on standing still for periods of time. I don't think he needs much practice since he has stood well in the past for being hitched and harnessed. I admit I am a bit lax in tying him though. I should do it more often, I usually just leave him haltered but untied in his outdoor pen while I groom him or tack him up. So, maybe that will go a long way in helping him learn a bit more patience. All food for thought!

4 comments:

  1. What a coincidence Donna that you also had the farrier today:) Good luck with the treatment of Linus hooves and practicing for him to stand still. I am also going to practice with Voelie to hold her feet up longer and hopefully next time she will do better for the farrier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna,
    How proud you must of Linus...send more photos when you can.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, thank you for including what you are doing with Linus to make the time for the farrier rewarding. =]

    NOTE to others: just remember that farrier trims do not count towards ground work points as it is not you doing the work. You can however work on things inbetween farrier visits to make his job easier and that does count if you are in the ground training division. Thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete