Saturday, February 12, 2011

*Joe - *Kobee - *Tessa

This morning I took *Joe to the indoor arena.  I haven't taken him there since the last time a few weeks ago when the snow slid off the roof and scared him so badly.  I wanted to put some time on him at home before I took him back, but today was the day! 

So we started out lunging, he was pretty good, but a bit distracted - not so much that I was worried about getting on him though, but I thought I would get on him sooner rather than later (he was SO good yesterday).  So I got on him and he was really tense and worried so I decided to walk/walk/walk him and try to get some of the softness that he gave me yesterday - well, don't you know it, pretty soon he did respond and he got soft - lowered his head and relaxed!  So we did get to do a bit of trotting and had quite a few nice soft up and down transitions.  I am thinking about putting a standing martingale on him - so that when he tenses up and throws his head up (always what he does when worried or scared) but anyway, used carefully and as a training device for short term, I am thinking that it might help him to train himself to keep his head down.  Any input on this would be appreciated - I haven't used one before, but it makes sense that it would just prevent him from throwing his head up when worried - he does lower his head "really" easily and softly to a light pull on the lead rope.  So I was really happy with Joe today - will be taking him back over there soon.

Next up was *Kobee.  As I mentioned yesterday I had someone coming to look at him today and the lady was SO impressed with him - such a good boy he is.  I encouraged her to bring her husband back this weekend so that they can both try him out.  I know she is very interested - they seem like really nice people and it would be a good home locally where I could still seem him on occasion, so that would be good :)

Finally, Anastasia came home today for the weekend and we took *Bijou and Tessa out for a nice long ride - we ended up being out for two wonderful hours :)  *Tessa was wonderful and soft and easy to ride on a loose rein - I was very happy about this!  So we were about half way through our ride and we were coming along a bit of a slope under the up side of a tree when, without ANY warning, all 4 of *Tessa's feet slid right out from under her and we both went down!  She didn't fall on me and I didn't get hurt, except when I tried to get back up, I fell right back down - it was SLICK! lol  She stood really well, waited for me to get up and we walked past that little area and I got back on.  I think it looked much worse than it was - ask Anastasia, she seemed a bit worried, but *Tessa and I were fine.

So that was my day today - it was a busy one!
Shelly in Summerland
http://www.curlystandardplace.com

6 comments:

  1. Yes it sounds like a busy and successful day, Shelly! I envy you that you can spend a whole day with your horses :) Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly, that was a close one! I am so glad you didn't get hurt! *Tessa did well to keep her head, don't you agree?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds good you did get Joe back into soft and relax. I had the same problem with Spirit and my instructor wanted me to use a martingale too. But it had the opposite effect he got more worried and I had a hard time getting him back into softness. So I had to so a lot of transitions and what really, really worked was my body language. I did some clinics with Wendy Murdock and that changed the world for both of us.

    It must have been scarry when you fell, I gald you are both ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, Yes, I really agree that *Tessa did well to keep her head - I did grab her rein right after, to make sure she didn't decide to leave, but she was just standing there - I was well pleased with her. It was funny that Anastasia and I were just discussing falling off our horses and wondering if they would run away or wait for us. We do get off in various places though and they know to stand with us - so I guess I have my answer!

    Marion - I am just considering using a standing martingale - or a tie down for his head, and only for a short time, so that he runs into it when he throws his head up. Mostly his head is down and soft in my hands, but when something worries him, up it comes and it takes a while to regain the softness. I just was thinking about using it on him as a short term training aid - I could also use draw reins as they would have a similar effect, but that would be on his mouth, which would be different and perhaps counterproductive...
    When Tessa fell, it wasn't that scary for me, but Anastasia said it looked bad!
    Shelly in Summerland, BC Canada

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know if you remember my blog from last year -- my mare clotheslined me under a sapling -- I slid right off her back (how humiliating) She kept right on ambling down the trail -- la-di-da-di-da.... I thought she loved me ??? I've been lucky on the ice so far... glad you were too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you and Tessa did not get hurt when Tessa slid! Always tricky with ice!

    ReplyDelete