Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Road walking

Hi all,

Well, it's only been a week since I had Tygs out, but it seems like a month! We had a thaw and then a freeze and then it got very cold, so there is lots of ice everywhere. I knew it wasn't safe to be out with the horses, but then it dawned on me that the road had completely melted off, so it was safe and Tygs, to my knowledge, hasn't been around cars, so it was time to find out what he thought! Now, you have to understand we don't have alot of cars, but I was hoping for a few at least. As you can see it's pretty desolate. I was pleased that Tygs was very interested in seeing what was down this new territory. He behaved himself and we worked on "Whoa" and "Back" and "Walk on" while walking.

We had went about 1/3 of a mile when I seen a car coming up from behind us at a good speed, so I turned Tygs around and motioned to the car to slow down, which they complied, thank goodness! But there was no need, because Tygs didn't think two hoots about it! I don't have a picture of that since I wasn't sure what he was going to do and thought I might need two hands!


After the car had went by, we turned to come back to the house, but all this area really intrigued Tygs. There is a house behind the trees that you can't see in the picture, but no one lives there in the winter, so I'm not quite sure what caught his eye, but we just stood and let him soak everything in. I finally let him know it was time to keep going and we headed home. Again, we worked on him following me, et cetera. At one point as we neared home I thought of lunging him right there in the middle of the road, which he did. He hasn't had any work on that since he's been here and had never done it before Denise did it with him a few months back, so I was extremely pleased to see that he remembered the pattern. Now to work on the different paces. And I'm thinking it's time to see what he does with weight on his back and a saddle......

Janeen and Tygs in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan

5 comments:

  1. I bet you did the right thing by stopping to let Tygs look at whatever it was he wanted to look at. I have learned the hard way over many years that I am WAY better off to let my Curly stop and look at things that catch his eye rather than "push him through" them like I read on certain trainer's sites. Sounds like you had an enjoyable and successful outing! I look forward to hearing more from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...not afraid of cars...fabulous!! =] Sounds like a great time together and a wonderful relationship developing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats great that he doesn't mind cars! That makes going out on the road much easier and safer:)
    I hope he will be just as good with a saddle and weight on his back! I look forward to reading more about his training!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Janeen, No fear of cars is AWSOME!!! One less thing to desensitize Tygs to. He is going to make you one heck of curly partner!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Janeen! Appears that Tygs and you had a productive journey together. Sometimes desolate makes for a wonderful learning environment. Other times there is more to the quiet than meets our eye. I am with Susan in allowing Tygs to take it all in and trust in your non reaction. Excellent choice to have kept both hands available and your focus on Tygs for the passing car...and he behaved as though it was just another day at the park!! YES! Can't wait to read about your next goal with weight and a saddle....until next time, Lesly

    ReplyDelete