Saturday, February 12, 2011

Three Dog Nights ~ Two Horse Days

Our winter temperatures are frigid... definitely -as they say -- Three Dog Nights... WOW -- still too icy to ride anywhere, but I did manage to have time to work with a few horses.. so like my daughter and others on the blog -- I am having a two horse day.


I started my two horse day with OYY Beowulf. He was born in 2009 right around this time. He is paternal brother to HeronBee - the colt my daughter was working with. Beowulf will stay a nice medium-large pony, he's 12.1 hands now. He's listed on my first time ever winter sale list.  What a smart young man he is - remembering everything we worked on last year !!





He's my mad hatter look-a-like.... I didn't realize until I watched the new Alice in Wonderland how Beowulf resembles Johnny Depp in the movie, with his darker owl eyes. Beowulf is a bit of a trickster - in a respectful way, due to his intelligence and smarts -- I think he and the mad hatter would get along famously... 

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?"
 
 
Today - we practiced a few basic skills -- walking nicely on the lead rope, traveling out onto the road, standing quietly on the cross ties, staying out of my space ... 


And here is the rear view of my awesome vest -- Today was actually just about warm enough to wear it over lots of other layers.

As usual, Denise's prizes are the best !!   Still have to get a nice photo of my beautiful Keri with her ribbons and medal. 
 
 
 

Beowulf is a delight to work with - he's always listening and positively engaged in our activities together.

Tomorrow - he'll be harnessed again and re-commence his ground training.  I love this fellow :)




While Zoe worked with OYY Olympia, I did some ground exercises with OYY Little Dream. Just by co-incidence... she is related to little Beowulf as Little Dream's Sire is Frostfire's Tadpole - who is Beowulf's maternal grand-father. Tadpole lived with us for a few years -- what a great fellow he is !!  Little Dream is also Olympia's maternal aunt.  This mare does not get worked with much for the same reason Zoe mentioned.. she's a keeper - and we mostly work with the horses on the sales list. 

I sure hope the weather warms up some -- I am in desperate need of some relaxing saddle time !!

Enjoy ~

8 comments:

  1. Good to see you out and about, if not in the saddle. I am hoping to be in the saddle by late morning to day. I can't get over how much Little Dream has grown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your hat!! Betsy you always have such a youthful fun look to you! =] Loved the pics and that vest looks great on you. How is it I missed seeing these horses when I was there..or do I just not remember. (which is totally possible!) They are both adorable and stunning color too. Glad you are finding ways to get out and still get those RAC points even though the weather is not great for riding right now. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they look great love the collor.
    I noticed that our rescue Jackson has also Frostfire in him, frostfire Big Mac is his granddad

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second Denise's question!? I don't recall either of these guys... I love how *Little Dream, isn't-- little! :-) She is lovely! Beowulf is a wonderful color... You are good to be able to groundwork if you have been as cold as we have. We got a few days of welcome warmth, and now we are plunged back into arctic temps. Single digits at night. I agree, those are Three Dog Nights! :-) Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laurie and Denise -- I don't remember where these two were hiding !! Actually Little Dream's registered name is Dream A little Dream (and of course related to your Dream Laurie) Maybe she looks big because I am short-- she's not all that tall.. 14.2 or so ?? it is absolutely COLD here.. coldest February in a long time. And Denise -- thank you for your lovely compliment :) I am a youthful Jack Benny :) perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your weather seems much like ours, Betsy! Lots of ICE! There are some areas on my path to the barn that are now solid, thick glare ice. The sun beats on it during the day at about 20 degrees and just transforms the snow to ice. There isn't a safe place anywhere out there, and the ice is so thick that my fences are getting shorter! Thank goodness my girls are too lazy to think about doing anything. Heck, they dont' want to walk through all that ice, either. But I think spring is on its way! The air had "that smell" to it this morning, it felt very spring like, and I heard some spring songbirds as well. Dare we hope?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Betsy, what a handsome young man! It always sounds to easy to have them done the basics, but it is not! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beowulf sure is cute and what a special colour. It seems that you have almost all different and special colours in your herd! I love these pony sized curlies!
    Hope your weather warms up soon!

    ReplyDelete