Monday, February 7, 2011

Kaycee and I picking up where we left off...

Plastic slow kid riding Kaycee


Kaycee thinks that if the tarp is on the ground, she should be standing on it!! lol


You will notice that even though most of the tarp is in my hand, I couldn't acutally pick it up because her foot is on it... Clever girl



SUPER PONY!!!







Well apparently we have by-passed spring and jumped right into summer, it was an incedible 70+ degrees yesterday!! (Sorry to all of you that are still snowed in)! When we got into the arena, Kaycee was quite distracted. Tonic and one of the other horses were in holding pens across the grounds, there was a young horse in the round pen and Ringo and Paul were in the big arena. I spent some time doing our ground work routine and she settled in. When I got on her she was still distracted and not really into what we were doing so I just took it slow (at a walk), and we started moving around the arena. Paul and Ringo went for a trail ride and rather than no longer distracting Kaycee, it had the opposite effect and she apprently was worried about WHERE they had gone.... It turned into a battle of wills and even at the walk she was TRYING to refuse, I will say that the last session on Tuesday, did make a difference. I was able to work her through her "STICKY" spots, (the gate, and the far corner of the arena), while on her back. She did do the backing at one point and rather than getting off, I made her back. I did have to get off and move her pretty hard at one point, but when I got back on her she did what I asked. We did finally get into the trot and she did well.


After that, I decided to bring out the old tarp. Kaycee has not played with it in about a year so I was curious.... No problem!! There is a plastic slow kid on the grounds to remind drivers to watch their speed. This "kid" has caused most horses on the place to balk or spook, I decided to let the kid ride Kaycee

3 comments:

  1. Hey maybe you could have the slow kid hold the tarp! OH wait you don't need ideas for crazy stunts! Keep up the forward progress and remember that bond on the ground transfers to on her back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what great pictures. Keycee is so brave with the tarp. The Super pony picture is cool!
    I also like the 'slow kid' in the saddle!

    ReplyDelete