Thursday, November 17, 2011

Cession de machoire

Dear Reader,
Mr. Philippe Karl's teaching has been helping both Lyle and I. On page 44 of his book, "The Twisted Truths of Modern Dressage" Mr. Karl starts his teaching on how to mobilize the horse's jaw and neck in a way that is friendly to the horse. On page 46 Mr. Karl teaches the "Cession de machoire."
Lyle has started to yield nicely to the bit now. But, and this is a very BIG but, his mouth had a dead feel to it. He was obeying. But he was obeying with a "dead" mouth. I wanted him to have a "gallant" mouth. And again, it was Mr. Karl to the rescue. The Cession do machoire is started on the ground and then once the horse embraces this work, it is continued under saddle. So Lyle and I did the Cession de machoire! (Later there will be pictures of this work. But I do not want to try and explain it because I am not offering training advice. However, Mr. Philippe Karl offers very good training advice. For this reason, I would simply suggest you buy the book if you are interested in his teaching.)
About me: I am happy because I am learning some things that I never understood before. I am seeing that it is very possible to help a horse to over come abuse and for the horse to go from being shut down and dead to being truly obedient and enjoying that obedience. It is the Cession de machoire that is opening the door, that is Lyle's mouth, to Lyle's entire house. And it is a gentle opening, with a "key." It is not a forced opening by kicking the door down!
I am beginning to see what dressage really is. And I am deeply and sincerely impressed as well an a willing student. Pictures when Wayne can take them. I think you will fall in love with the dressage that Mr. Karl teaches, I know that I have!
Sincerely,
Penny Johnson
Kootenai Curly Horses
Bonnes Ferry, Idaho USA

1 comment:

  1. I love your explanation Penny. You must have quite a library full of equestraian books. I have some of the books you were talking about on m wish list. I always like to read which books you are using! I love reading about horses, training and riding and then seeing which parts of this I can use in my own training!

    ReplyDelete