Tuesday, November 1, 2011

New Saddle!!!

I did something I have never done before, I bought a brand new saddle, and it came tonight!  What a way to kick off the Nov challenge. Watch out fellow challenge riders, I'm ready to ride!

But, what do you think of the fit?  I didn't cinch it down in case I need to return it.  It was getting dark so took a few really quick, not so great, pictures.  It's a FQHB Billy Cook wade.  It's heavier than I'm used to but seems like it will be secure.  I defiantly need a larger saddle pad.







My weanling took his first solo ride without his mommy in the trailer with him today!  At first he wanted to sniff and sniff everything.  Then we got as close as the edge.  Taking that big step up is hard LOL  He didn't seem to want to try so got out the carrot stick.  He learned as soon as he put a foot on the trailer I left him alone.  Then while I was standing there letting him "soak"  he put one front in, sniffed around, then the second front, kinda looked at me as if "is that what you want?" and hopped in.  It was funny when he got in because I wasn't even asking him to do anything, just letting him rest.  




6 comments:

  1. Very nice saddle. It is hard to judge saddle fit. There are 2 kinds of saddle fit, when the horse stands still and when it moves. Both kinds of saddle fit must be good.
    One idea may help you judge saddle fit. Sprinkle/dust talcum power evenly on the horse's back. Then put your saddle pad over the talcum powered area. Then put your saddle on the saddle pad. The talcum will stick to the pad in the areas where the weight of the saddle rest. This will help you to judge saddle fit. It will not give you a complete answer. But it will help you find the answer. Be especially careful that there is enough flare so that his shoulders move freely when under saddle. Also check for bridging.
    Will you be using bucking rolls with your slick fork wade saddle?
    Penny Johnson
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I love it so far. Penny, I have bucking rolls to put on. Seemed to fit standing, I ran my hand underneath and felt like nice even contact. Today is the moving fit test. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish you and your horse well.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful saddle - I hope it passes the moving fit test with flying colors.

    ReplyDelete