Friday, November 11, 2011

Mother Nature Cooperates

The Mainer from the Maine Gaines Team (formerly known as A&S) is hoping for rain in Texas because it freakin’ poured here last night, and I took advantage of it. I took this picture of the water streaming off of the front porch near the floodlight so you would get an idea of just how crazy I am. I have ridden in the rain before, quite a few times actually. When you wait all year to go to Acadia National Park, a little rain doesn’t slow you down much - it just keeps the hikers and bikers off the trail - but I must admit, Ah-D really thought I had finally gone off my rocker last night. When I arrived home from work (after dark - YUCK), I immediately put the horses in the barn to dry off and eat. A couple of hours later, I headed out to the barn on a mission. Ah-D wasn’t dry yet, but that didn’t stop us. We worked on our groundwork in the barn aisle and bonded. Yes, the conversation with Donna, of the enemy D&D team, reminded me yet again of how important groundwork is. After the groundwork I put the bareback pad on Ah-D, and out we headed into the rainy night. He thought I was totally nuts, as I previously mentioned, but he was also really tuned in to me. I couldn’t see a friggin’ thing, so I was experiencing that surfing feeling again - but this time without a saddle. We practiced some of our November challenges. Ah-D was on edge, but he was backing up like a dream and neck reining in circles! Wow! It was SUPER to feel him so responsive. We even backed up in an L shape. By the time I got back to the barn, I looked like a drowned rat but inside I was glowing and on a high. What a fabulous experience my ride in the rain turned out to be! Now, if it would only rain in Texas….

4 comments:

  1. Susan, dagnabit if you would learn to wear a cowboy hat or I guess cowgirl hat you wouldn't get so wet in the rain. THEY also make slickers so you don't get wet. I see you still need guidence from an old cowboy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used my slicker in the groundwork portion of our time together, and Ah-D got poop on it when he walked over it, so I decided I would rather be soaking wet than wear poop. As far as the cowboy hat, it was firmly on my head when I did chores. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice Harold!!
    Susan!!! I knew you could do the L!! There I go helping and encouraging the enemy!!! Lol, I was excited reading your post bc its easy to see how excited you are!! Awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan,
    Great going...hey can I set up a sprinkler for my ride with Chester?

    ReplyDelete