Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Just to Pig Headed to Give Up!

Dear Reader,
This is NOT training advice. But I am just to dang pig headed to give up on Lyle. This has been a crash course in humility for me because I actually asked for help! Wow, what a concept, asking for help!
Here is what Wayne, my husband, and I have decided. I have taught Lyle to lead from the ground, using his sweet water bit for control. He accepts this bit kindly and sweetly from the ground. He also understands this bit and trusts the signals that it gives IF I AM USING IT FROM THE GROUND.
I lead Lyle, using the bit. Wayne walks ahead of Lyle and I. Lyle is learning to track, that is focus, on Wayne as if Wayne were a cow or another horse. We are using Lyle's tracking instinct to teach him to trust the bit when he is under saddle!
Later, Wayne and I will do the same thing, but this time with Lyle saddled. Then, even later, I will be in the saddle while Lyle tracks Wayne. At first I will try and NOT use the bit or reins at all. I will trust Lyle to track Wayne and use the bit ONLY to bring Lyle back behind Wayne. Gradually Lyle and I will make little "forays" away from Wayne. Lyle and I will just take a few steps away from Wayne and off to the side at first. Later these little "forays" will become further and further away from Wayne and will go around trees and other obstacles.
So that is the plan! I am just to pig headed to give up! And I even cared enough to beg for help! That was really hard for me to do.
Sincerely,
Penny Johnson
Bonners Ferry, Idaho
USA

2 comments:

  1. I would not call it pig-headed, but rather determined and open minded enough to try someone else's idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Susan. May God bless you.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete