Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Linus totally rocks!!!

November 1st. Day off. Beautiful weather. Perfect chance to get started on some challenges! I won't list all of what we did because our Maine/Texas rivals might get a leg up...  : )
First, my wonderful partnering team is that of Dana & Marley. So that makes up the 'DD' team. You can take you pick from that meaning Dana & Donna, Dynamic Duo, Daring & Dangerous....
A few things we did today have me over the moon happy!! Linus self loaded in the trailer without hesitation!!! I wanted to jump up and down. He was so calm that I was able to stand back and get a picture! He backed off when I asked and then just to make sure it wasn't a fluke I asked him again to go on and he did!! I love this big hearted boy to pieces!!!
I just flipped through a horse magazine that came today and a feature article in it is trailering issues written by Jonathan Field!
Another accomplishment that totally blew my mind was the sidepass. I haven't practised this mounted. We've done it on the ground a bit. Linus was a bit confused at first but I took a suggestion and walked him to a gate and we went the length of the gate in both directions, which is 12'. I was super impressed at such a successful first go!
We swapped our sweet iron snaffle for a rubber coated snaffle. Linus didn't like it! But at least we tried.
I had to use a treat to motivate him to trot in hand (Linus is very lazy on a warm sunny afternoon!) But we are going to work on that one!
I had an absolutely amazing time with Linus. The neighbours were in their backyard and must have been watching because they cheered when he went on the trailer! It was so rewarding that even as I packed up my tack (most of it now gets stored inside for the winter) he was watching from the gate like he wanted more work to do.
With things we accomplished today, I already feel like we won. Sounda corny! But its so awesome to be in sync and have his whole trust that the outcome at the end of the month does not matter to me.
Best of luck to all the teams this month!
Donna & Linus
Ontario

8 comments:

  1. Whoo Hooo!! Way to start this competition, Donna and Linus!! I can feel your energy and excitement..it's contageous! You and Linus have always had such a great connection and to see you grow and bond more and more over the years has been so much fun. Such trust!!! Great job Team DD!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks Denise! You're so sweet. The RAC plays a major part in our relationship!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna, Linus DOES rock! I can't believe you covered two things in one day that Ah-D and I are going to have to work all month on!! I will say, though, I am also on Cloud Nine...because I tried a new bit with Ah-D tonight and he did SUPER! (on the trail in the dark!!) I love my pony.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey ladies I love my pony too :)

    Great job Donna -- we are all winners anyway - we don't need a contest for us to know that ! What bit did you try Susan ? curious...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna,
    Awesome lady. Now I know where the supercharged comes from...Linus{:>
    But, my wonderful partner Susan has you in her sight and she and Didder are "uber-charged"{:>
    Hugs, from Texas.
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  6. How neat. We worked on trailer loading today also!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna, Your wrote, "its so awesome to be in sync and have his whole trust that the outcome at the end of the month does not matter to me."
    Thank you. That is the real meaning of the challenge. You are so very right!
    Penny Johnson
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho USA

    ReplyDelete