Thursday, November 3, 2011

My BIG, BIG Mistake

Dear Reader,
I continue to use the sweet water bit as I lead Lyle from the ground. Today as we worked, from 11:30 to about 1:30, I realized a big mistake that I have been inadvertently making. Of course, when Lyle gives or yields to the bit I give him his earned release. But here is what I have been doing that is wrong. Sometimes Lyle will get TOO soft and instead of giving to the bit he will follow the rein and sort of "disappear" into no contact and no feel. I have been giving him the release for this "disappearing." (Does this make sense to you? I know that this is a hard thing to explain. Am I making this concept clear at all?)
So by me giving him the release when Lyle disappears by following the rein and NOT truly yielding to the bit, I have been rewarding him for going into hyper flex or rollkur frame.
Wow, there sure is much to learn when it comes to using "feel" as a training language. But Lyle and I have all the time in the world.
(Even if I do get impatient.)
Sincerely,
Penny Johnson
Bonners Ferry, Idaho USA

2 comments:

  1. I appreciate your desire to learn, Penny. I also notice that you never blame Lyle - but try to understand how you can communicate better to him. I also appreciate that you are humble enough to ask for advice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Penny,
    I feel we are lucky in that our Curlies are very forgiving and when (not if) we make fail to communicate they let it go and do not keep hard feelings...Maybe, sometimes we humans could take a page out of that book{:>
    You are making great progress every moment you share with Lyle.
    Hugs,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete