Sunday, November 6, 2011

Holdin' Back!!

I wanted to post yesterday but unfortunately did not get a chance to. We had a busy day with visitors at the farm. First, a woman and her daughter who came to buy  my saddle were there. They just loved hearing about curlies and especially about all of us and our doings with the RAC!
My brother stopped by and the last time he saw Linus was close to a year ago...he was quite intimidated by the size of him now! (Brad isn't a horse person!)
And my long-time friend Janet, who also has 3 horses, stopped by. Janet was super impressed with our 2 and is actually the first stranger Allie has trusted completely. Linus, ever the gentleman, didn't think she needed to be wearing the pretty scarf that Janet had on! He pulled it off a few times and was his typical in-your-face self. But, to his credit, he did back off when asked and was actually very polite.
Dad, Stu and Brad watched while Linus and I did some of the challenges. Dad laughed while we played with a tarp, even harder when Linus stopped to bite the tarp! So, I decided to show him up a bit...his horse won't let a tarp touch her (yet) so I pulled it from the ground, over Linus' face and head and all the way the length of his body....there was no more laughing after that. Then we tried the curb bit. I thought Linus wouldn't really mind it but he didn't at all like it. One thing about trying a couple of new bits is that it solidifies for me that the bit I use (when I use one) is the right choice.


Headin from field to trail
Today we went for a ride and it was the first big test for my new saddle. I haven't yet ridden off property or for that long in it yet. I had my doubts as to whether I would return in it and was very pleased when I did! lol. It seems our short practice sessions had definitely paid off. 
I have been making Linus practice standing still while being mounted from the wooden box I use. He's getting better and better every day and today I was very proud of him. I was on in record time and I was really amazed with the comfort in my new saddle. My bad hip was well looked after in it! However, I think it is really helping me improve as a rider. Linus can really feel me more and it is sharpening up our cues. It's good for both of us.

Bad angle but I couldn't see the screen so I'm lucky to even have a picture!! This is before the entrance to our bush! First time we have ridden the horses here!

 We rode in a new place today (points!!!) and took the horses down a 4wheeler trail that we made that goes between the cow pasture and bush we own. The above picture is shortest grassy part we rode in. The other part was long, dead canary grass and it was brushing the horses sides and bellies. Linus loved it big time and I really was holding him back. Then I realized something was different. It felt like I had no horse beneath me. The ground was rougher than where we normally go but not hard for the horses but I felt like I was floating. I couldn't feel much from the movement of my horse and it was the coolest thing I have ever experienced on horseback in my life. The horse I used to ride would have rattled the teeth out of my head being there! I don't know if he was doing the curly shuffle thing because I'm not sure if that is a natural trait or has to be taught?! But let me tell you I could have balanced a book on my head and held a glass full of water and not spilled anything. So, it baffled me to actually say that the ride that stands out as by far the best one in my life, ever, was in an English saddle!!! : ]
My beautiful boy on the way back.
When we got back, and I came down a bit from cloud 9, I told Dad he could help me get some points.....I had never ridden his horse, Allie!!! We only got her in April and she has only been ridden by my Dad and even that has only been since July. So, I finally got brave enough to get on her and we had a little ride around the paddock. I know it says friend, but he is one of my best ones and I've never ridden her, so I think it counts!!
Happy Trails today everyone!
a still beaming Donna and my super duper steed, Linus!
Ontario

1 comment: