Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Winter Beech Ride in Maine

Well, I had planned on doing a beech ride for Betsy, seeing as to how our beeches are gorgeous shades of copper, bronze and gold right now...but I didn't expect to see those colors juxtaposed against WHITE! If you haven't heard by now, the northeast got slammed with an early October snow. What an absolutely BEAUTIFUL ride it made for me on Ah-D and my boy Ian on Al on Sunday afternoon.

This is Ah-D looking at for a deer. It was there, but we didn't see any deer, even though three or four times, he let me know exactly where they were hiding.
As you can see, we received a goodly amount of snow. The "breeze" blowing across this open area was a mite chilly. Ah-D was very frisky but also very well-behaved. I used the bareback pad. I had a hankering to use it ever since Donna mentioned about how her saddle was slippery. So's mine, but this bareback pad is awesomely un-slickery! (and toasty). When I told Ian I was going sans saddle, he asked, "Does that mean we won't be going very fast?" I giggled and raised my eyebrows. He snorted and gave his cinch another tug to make sure it was tight. We were on the same wavelength. We had some nice brisk trots and canters. Ah-D wasn't the only one who was frisky!
Look, we even have a bit of red still hanging on!

Just look at this scenery. Gorgeous!


~Susan and her beloved Ah-D ~ p.s. any takers for a team Ride with Me (and Angie and Chester) on Sunday afternoon? 40 points....

10 comments:

  1. How beautiful Susan! I simply love when the autumn colors meet the snow ... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow susan!!! What snow you got. We haven't had a single flake YET. But I know it's coming. I love how beautiful the trees are - sort of like a fainter. ha ha. Thanks for sharing as always!! Your son is growing up too fast. =]

    ReplyDelete
  3. "fainter" = combo of "fall (fa) + winter (inter). So lame I had to explain it! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for explaining it Denise :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I might be up for a ride Sunday afternoon. Let me ask my partner. Love the snow pictures. I'm looking forward to snow this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. drat -- you should have told me sooner Susan -- just saw the idea for a ride on Sunday -- I was out in the cart though... will that count ?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful ride! Maybe Owen and I could do this some day...that would be cool. I'm in for Sunday, Dana can't make it but I'll be there for the hang of it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betsy, The Team Ride with Me is for NEXT Sunday afternoon, so...can you and Zoe make it? :) Denise, "fainter" - maybe you could coin that like "brunch," one of my favorite things. Donna, I bet you and Owen will ride together someday, esp if you have an awesome pony like Al. (only curly) hkfarms - let me know on the Ride With Us. What about YOU, Caren? ;) -Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wahoo, how lucky I am to have Susan and Didder as my RAC partner. Just to be able to see the beautiful foliage and colors makes the RAC competition worthy it and then friends who love Curlies too...so wonderful.
    Ok, Since the Cowboys are doing so badly I am hoping to get some couch potatoes off their bobo and have more ride with me on Sunday at 4 pm{:>
    Angie

    ReplyDelete