Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The learning curve

Each and every day now I have been working with our new filly *Tekara...from basic grooming sessions, to preparing her to be a pack horse, and now this week, learning to lunge. *Tekara has been started under saddle, but she was never taught to lunge. I find lunging a valuable tool. If she won't pay attention on the lunge line, I don't know how I can expect her to pay attention under saddle. This week's training has gone fairly well. She has a concept of what to do on the lunge line, but yesterday her attention span was ....well, shall we say "like the baby 3 year old that she is" LOL...her circles were more like eggs, or at one point, squares, and triangles...

but I am sure in the near future she will discover circles, and discover her attention span can be a little bit longer, and then we will move on to the next learning task.

Bringing young horses along is one of the most rewarding things I can think of. I has been several years since I actively trained on a youngster ( other than foal handling ) and I am enjoying the heck out of the process...and SOON my driving horse will be coming home!

3 comments:

  1. Glad you are having so much fun, Linda! I had to chuckle at your description of her circles! She is lovely, can't wait to see more of her...and maybe you RIDING her too? =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda,
    I know the lady who broke Tekara. Christina Valentine is a good horsewoman. As you work with Tekara you will see how very much good and solid work that Christina did.
    Sincerely,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wholeheartedly agree Linda...there is nothing like the feeling of raising your own youngster! I find I am a much more confident rider than ever. And I've learned to drive which is a huge bonus!!! Keep the news coming!

    ReplyDelete