Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Harold, God Bless You




Dear Harold,
When I worked Lyle today I had a deep feeling that YOU WERE WITH Me on the ride. Honest. I rode about 3 in the afternoon. Were you thinking about Lyle and I at that time or maybe a little before? I felt you with me and I felt you giving me courage and heart. I give you my sincere thanks for your presence and your kindness.
Lyle and I are not going to win in the RAC. But Lyle and I won on a more important level. Following Mr. Philippe Karl's teaching in his book "The Twisted Truths of Dressage" I was able to completely prevent Lyle from curling into rollker. That is I was able to prevent him from over bending and from over flexing behind the vertical. Because of that I had control. And Lyle and I did our first trail ride!
Dear Reader, you can see in the pictures how I kept Lyle from over bending. If you want to understand exactly HOW that was done, read Mr. Karl's book. Lyle and I were in conflict during most of the ride. Of course there are other problems to "redeem," such as his running away and his leaning on the bit. But because Lyle can no longer use rollker against me, he will have the opportunity to learn that I can be trusted to care for him under saddle and that I will always be benevolent towards him in ALL situations.

6 comments:

  1. Izzy, There ain't nobody more stubbern them you and I,so when our thought are together we can move a mountain, looks like a great job Lyle is looking great and so are you. Fantastic Job Izzy just fantastic.
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harold,
    You gotta know that God loves old farts like us! After all, it is a dirty, and thankless job and SOME ONE has to do it!
    And thank you for your kindness. I remember how you and Rainie wept when you held the rosary that my friend Cookie made for you.
    Your old and salty friend,
    Izzy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are making such good headway with Lyle, Penny! Those trails are beckoning. You live in some beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, Thank you. You have encouraged Harold. You have also encouraged me. I thank you.
    Did you know that Lyle is the grandson of Harold's stallion, Misty's Black Curly, aka Curly Boy? So Lyle has a family named to live up to.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. Penny,
    Susan is right you are a great role model for all of us. And, Harold is right, Fantastic job....still, where did the nickname Izzy come from?
    Hugs,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angie,
    I am not sure where Harold got the name Izzy for me. But I want to share something that Harold does not know. My mother's name was Isabel. A good friend of her's, a man with a serious alcohol habit, called her Izzy. He used it as a term of honor for my mother. My mother, who also had a drinking problem, was one of the few human beings whom this man respected. I have always been honored that Harold calls me Izzy. Harold thank you for the name Izzy. I am not worthy of that name. But still I carry it with honor.
    Sincerely,
    Penny

    ReplyDelete