Monday, November 28, 2011

Chester says; I aint afraid of nothing on two wheels

Hello all, 

Well my neighbors have suspected we were a strange bunch since we moved here with our curly horses and all our crazy stunts but the look on a new friend's face last Wednesday said it all. 

Backing up,  a few weeks ago I explained to my dear hubby that Chester and I were not able to fulfill one of our challenges for the November RAC competition; riding with a bicycle as we didn't have one. You see, Susan, my wonderful partner checked off  riding a bicycle with Didder early on and so did our over achieving Vermont cowgirls and D Dolls who ride in the snow like beautiful, graceful  fawns.....so I knew the pressure was on 'cause we needed those points.  I was even beginning to think Susan would never speak to me again and seeing all those dang photos of her with a shotgun made me realize I'd better make it happen or else she'd talk Handsome Harold into helping her make their way to Texas and hang me from a tall Mesquite tree.

So, I emailed Denise and asked if an ATV or John Deere Gator would work (hoping to get credit with a vehicle more easily accessible in our neck of the woods and she nope;

"A bicycle is one of the most challenging things because it doesn't make noise..has lots of moving parts. Most horses that are not afraid of motorized things ARE afraid of bikes. So there really isn't anything to replace that. Do you have a neighbor kid that has one?"  

Bamm, a light blub went off in my, tiny blonde brain...ask everyone I meet if they had a bike we could borrow for a short ride.Whew, and you think Pooh Bear had it tough....

Well, on Wednesday my hubby comes driving up with a big smile on his face and behind him a dear, wonderful fella on a beautiful, shiny, restored red bicycle like one you'd see on Leave it Beaver back in the day. It seems my husband went door to door looking for folks with a bicycle so we could meet this obstacle of our challenge. He simply explained the situation and the sweet neighbor fella said; sure no problem.  So here we are, Chester and I and Mike on a bike.....
We did offer Mike a beer for all his help and he exclaimed he couldn't drink and ride... And, I'll be be fixing Hank, my hubby, his favorite meal - pasta - once he has worn off of the Turkey we had on Thursday.

Angie and Chester in Texas - 

9 comments:

  1. Way..To..GO! I was grinning from ear to ear reading your post and seeing just how determined you were to accomplish this task! And what a hubby you have to be SO resourceful and equally determined! I thought it was funny when you said no one has bikes out there in TX....it seems here in Michigan it's like the 2nd biggest mode of transportation...and some cost as much as cars! =] Anyway, Kudos to you and to Chester for such a stellar attitude and making this look so easy. I should video tape Bear sometime. He is NOT afraid of anything....but bikes! lol. Just have to show you that it can be a scary thing! lol. Reese thinks they are fantastic though. Anyway....thanks for sharing....and tell your Neighbor THANK you from the RAC team!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, where is all the snow???? What do you do for Christmas without snow???? Chester does look really good, how would he be on a one horse open sleigh with snow???? Denise will tell you that is the next Texay challange, just for you.
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harold,
    We do get snow occasionally in Texas and when we do folks just stop and scare at it{:> Mainly we get ice and wind to help us appreciate the hot summers.
    Hugs,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Angie it sounded like you where in the same boat as me but trying to get that one last obstacle thing done. I need rain. We haven't had nothing, but that one day of snow and Denise said I can't count that, it has to be rain. So we are going to be out those points unless a miricale happens in the next 24 hours :) Love the bike by the way, I thought your story was great! Good luck to your and Susan on the challenge, I know Donna and I have been having a great time, especially coming together to ride for Harold!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya its true eh, how our rivalry among teams turned into all coming together for Harold! Awesome post Angie! The Maine Gaines def get humour points!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Geez, I know it, Angie, what a sense of humor! You are quite the storyteller, but I really have to say, WOW!!! that your husband would go door to door, asking for a bicycle rider for you. Now, THAT is true love! You are truly blessed.
    p.s. I'm too busy shooting the neighbors to go after you, and I have never even seen a mesquite tree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. p.s. I wonder if Mike is a relative of Harold's? They have the same mustache.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, no relation besides my mustache goes down to my man boobs , and I sport long hair down to my oh never mind. Have a great day to all

    ReplyDelete