Wednesday, November 16, 2011

A Day for Smiles

Today I have a big smile...  I rode a horse I have never ridden before so I hope it counts even though it's still mine :)

Not only is my wood pile getting smaller (see background -- most of it is cut, split and stacked ) I am riding one of my favorite ponies sired by Chip out of a Honeybee Gal daughter.  Beltane's Lady Jane... or just plain Jane -- although never just plain. The last time she was ridden was the day she made a big splash in the puddles on the trail ( if you remember that post.. See Jane, see Jane Splash)



Jane is going to be a lesson horse here at the farm -- but she has always been relegated to the back burner as far as training.. since we really have to work with those who are for sale -- and then of course... whatever time is left -- it's the usual ride for relaxation and pleasure with my lovely Keri.

Poor Jane has been saddled up I think 4 times-- this being her fifth if I am right.  This RAC challenge gave me the perfect excuse--- as I have wanted to ride her forever.


My first thought was to ride Reverie -- since she is in the contest anyway.. which I still might do before the month's end.  But I love Jane better :)




What a pretty thing ! I am not sure what her height is as I have not put a stick to her in awhile.



She has a beautiful smooth trot you can sit to, however -- she presently lacks the muscling and conditioning to trot out steadily.


Today -- while we were actually waiting for it to rain -- believe it or not.... since we wanted to get in a rain ride :)  Jane saw a little of this and a little of that as far as terrain, along with a good share of road traffic.




We took a quick trip up one little mountain trail and looped around to descend a different way. We found some mud and plenty of brush to step over and around.  Jane did a lot of thinking today.  I know that can be quite exhausting work sometimes :)





Zoe rode Miss Sweets... which cannot count as her new horse to ride because she has ridden Sweet Bee many times before.






I have to add one more similar head photo -- she is so bushy... she once had a very long dreaded mane which I cut off.  she needs another trim it seems.  I happen to prefer a roached mane.. but plenty of people criticize me for that.






Quite a few times during our escapade today, I took Jane off away from Sweet Bee and asked her to navigate through different footing just for fun.







That was a great trip Jane -- Thank You :)









Still no rain.. although it's close. We still have time to saddle up again... so Zoe gets OYY Hendrix .

Hendrix had some ground work in the indoor but we could tell-- he wanted to skip some steps and get right out to see the world.











Hendrix is the son of Zoe's RAC contest mount Reverie -- so it's a fun choice of horses for her.


Hendrix turned 4 yesterday ! and is 15 hands so he will be taller than Mum for sure.  He's a big boned fellow and a bit of a moose right now.






He's excited about his trip.












Up the mountain trail which is my little tractor road.  We'll poke around in the woods up here and see what we find for Hendrix to do.








I am on Keri -- she needs to get some exercise too !  keep her blood flowing fast and muscles all stretched and limbered up.











Not much for leaves in the woods anymore.




Mister Hendrix is surely not as pretty as Miss Jane... BUT he has a BIG faithful heart and a very steady brain. This boy is going to make a best friend for the person who ends up with him !


Quietly listening all the time and ready to
please ~


So -- by the time the rain fell, it was past chores and too late for a ride .. but I'm sure there will be another time before the end of the month. This was a great day for new mounts --

Enjoy ~
Betsy and Jane and Zoe and OYY Hendrix in Vermont

3 comments:

  1. That Jane is even prettier in person and might just be the prettiest Curly on your farm. I am glad for you - you FINALLY rode her!! Good for you!! You two look lovely together. Hendrix may look a bit moosey right now but his expressions are priceless. What a fabulous guy! Can't believe he is 4 already

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful smiles, beautiful Curlies...love your posts Bets{:>

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pictures and mister Hendix is cute and also very pretty but Jane is indeed gorgeous. It must be such a joy to have all these lovely curlies around!

    ReplyDelete