Monday, November 21, 2011

*Serenade and the snow ride

I don't see a lot of snow in everyone else's pictures - not sure how come we get so lucky but it snowed here just under a week ago and it seems to be staying!

So I have been mostly riding solo these days - Anastasia is living near to where she goes to University, which leaves me to my own devices and well, this year I have decided not to let that put me off going out riding every day and so I have been!

As is my usual the other day I took *Serenade out for a short ride - as I am riding her to rehab her, we generally go out for less than an hour.  This time it was pretty cold out and she was feeling a bit feisty - first time she has felt like that!  I stopped to talk to my neighbour for a few minutes and she stood really well for that, but when I asked her to continue on she decided (for the first time) that she would rather go home and when I touched her with my whip she gave me a little buck!  Silly girl!  Another "spank" and off we went on our ride.

She is getting fitter (finally), I am quite sure that when I first began riding her that she was the most unfit horse I have taken out on our trails.  Now understand, our trails ARE challenging with lots of hills for them to climb, but she really seemed exhausted at first.  I did some thinking about this and realized that she must have learned not to exert herself while she was injured and my theory seemed to prove itself the other day when my herd of horses was running around together and *Serenade ran up and down the field with them only once and then stood and watched them - I believe she has probably been doing this for most of her life - when it hurt to run, she simply didn't.....Now she is feeling better and getting fitter, we trotted almost our entire ride and had a nice big canter up the big valley hill.  I wonder if/when she will realize she can now keep up with the herd too!

So I was on my own as usual, but I couldn't resist taking a few pictures with the camera on my phone, it was SUCH a gorgeous day!  This is a new phone and I think it takes pretty good pictures, amazing how phones have changed in just a few short years!

So here are the pictures - notice I did get our shadow in the one photo.





Shelly in Summerland, BC Canada
http://www.curlystandardplace.com

4 comments:

  1. Shelly~
    Not sure where our snow is. We had a storm before Halloween then nothing and 60 degree weather. You can keep all the snow over that way while we finish up preparing for winter. I am not ready for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelly I like your country looks like a great ride, we have maybe quarter inch of snow here in Minnesota, but I hope we get some before the frost goes down to far.
    Really like your hills all flat land here and swamp. You took some great pictures. Nice looking horse head.
    Harold

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelly, beautiful country for a ride! Keep your snow for now, I am in the same boat as Zoe. It has been unseasonably warm in Maine. Glad your pretty Serenade is feeling good enough to throw in a buck or two.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm jealous mum, wish I could be going with you.

    ReplyDelete