Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Search for Water

As the Talking Heads would be singing .. take me to the river, drop me in the water.... Gotta get me my RAC points  !

After studying the task sheet some more -- we had to find a pond within riding distance for the two special Curlies in our lives this month. We can't go to the river -- too far for these girls in the time we had for a ride and also - as I mentioned... the rivers are toxined out since the hurricane. The state is even recommending that farmers do not graze on land that was once flooded. The ponds that came to my mind are quite full and yukky.... after smoking our brain cells -- Zoe came up with an excellent site !  So -- yesterday was water search and swim day !

I had to snap this photo of the curious girls and this Thanksgiving decoration. Something new along the road -- we had to take a close look.  This little fat pumpkin turkey is a cheerful sight.

We were totally on a mission here - I did not take any more photo's until we arrived at our rendezvous point -- THE POND.


It's a little pond -- but the shore drops off quickly so it's deep in the center. We cannot go all the way through the center, as there is an aerator.


This pond walking thing is best illustrated by video

Reverie believes herself to be half moose ? She likes to dip her entire head in the water and shake it around.  Zoe had to get to work right after the ride (she works at the after school program) and she did not have spare clothes... she was reluctant to get too wet.
Sweet Bee and I went in and out a few times.  Fun -- if the weather holds out .. I am going to try to think up another pond location -- larger and deeper maybe..











After we played in this little pond for a bit.. we trotted back up along the road about 5 miles toward another water location which is one of my favorites I call it Luna's water spot -- because she was the first horse to dip her hooves into it.




What's this ???  something new going on in the hood.









Important board meeting in the middle of the road.


I questioned them about the project but they weren't exactly chatty about it.




orange arrows all along the road the entire way - looks as though this may be dug up soon.










This stream can be a bit tricky.. the rocks are slippery and the water running fast. Sometimes the horses get nervous about their footing.








Sweet Bee was a little nervous about the stability of her footing - she was great about listening though.










Reverie got this far and then was not sure what to do --- Zoe's a bit downhill :)



Now Reverie is focused on her head dunking routine again.  Not at all concerned with her odd stance.  What the heck ???








I love this water fall running through the hole in the tall stone wall. On the opposite side where the water comes from -- the stream is lazy and quiet.  I am surprised that with the flooding during the hurricane that this stone held up perfectly. We came down here with Nimue and the cart to check it out just to be sure it was still standing safely.




I never noticed Miss Sweets had such antennae ears until I saw this photo.. I believe she got those from Mum... they are NOT Chip ears.




walking downstream -





Reverie pauses to blow more water around and dunk her head.












Each mare has their own unique response to water -- Rev likes to head dip -- Sweets loves to splash.















These long locator ears are sweet though....





Time to head home --  we did well with our water project. We had pretty great weather for it -- although my feet were cold trotting home.  What's next ???

Glancing through the list -- the most difficult task is going to be for us -- finding somewhere NEW TO RIDE.  We have ridden everywhere there is to ride within a 40 mile radius of the farm.  That's a lot of territory ! I don't own a trailer so -- so Zoe and I are studying the maps plus we have a little trail guide we are going to look at for ideas. There MIGHT be somewhere we have missed over the years. Even if we get trailered -- it's going to have to be further than 40 miles from home. And somewhere that is posted for no hunting. And a reasonable mileage for two girls who are not in such great shape (and I don't mean me and Zoe ) I do love a challenge though -- I am open for ideas from the RAC gallery.

Enjoy ~  Betsy and Sweet Bee and Zoe and Reverie...

6 comments:

  1. Look at you two go!!! How many times have you done that in November?! Your pictures are awesome. Reverie is too funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last two days have been gorgeous Indian Summer days Donna -- we do not usually get in water in November !! you are right.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED this, Betsy! The past two days have been gorgeous here, too, but it is deer-hunting season, so even though Dream and I rode yesterday, and we both wore our blaze orange, I don't dare go off the road or out of the populated areas! No hikes in woods for us!! In Maine this deer season which is only 10 days old, there have been 2 German Shepherds shot and killed "by mistake," one hunter killed, and two who shot themselves by accident! I don't trust ANYONE to tell a brown horse and rider from a deer!

    Reverie's bubble blowing reminds me of a dog we used to see on a small island in our Lake. She'd pace along the shore and bark, and frequently stick her whole head under the water! We learned from her owners that she was fishing! Maybe that's Rev's plan?! You are so good at documenting your rides and then posting it! Even if I remember the camera, I don't get the pictures posted, or blog about it!! I admire your many talents and want to be just like you when I grow up!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That head dip/splash video was comical! Rev and Sweets are soooo trail seasoned already. I notice they have a lot of curls showing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not bad for one mare who is pretty much a pasture potato and another who never leaves the
    indoor :)Reverie has a beautiful pattern happening right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Videos are adorable! Wish we had warmer weather for a splash :)

    ReplyDelete