Sunday, November 27, 2011

More Adventures with Harold Along

Harold, you would not believe the adventures you had with us today! We started out early in the day with a distinct western flair just for you. My neighbor and new riding buddy Deanna joined us for some Western dress up. Note our fancy leather chaps, bandana, western tack and even a Harold Button! (hmmm....another long and lean friend...I really need to start choosing my friends more wisely based upon chunkier body types to make me look better). Slight wardrobe changes and we hit the trail with the Lab gang tagging along. It was a lovely ride, great company, and my Curly was on his best behavior.
Our second ride of the day involved a complete and total wardrobe change into all English tack. My friend Ulla whisked us away in her trailer to participate in a drill team practice! Of course Harold was still along in button form. My *Ah-D-Das was mightily excited to be in a new place with a bunch of new horses. During warm up, I let him walk once around the ring to take everything in, and then we did a once around trot (on the bit, pretty tense and surging, with the "whoop-whoop" sound emanating from his belly regions). However, once we started in on the drills, Didder rose to the occasion and made me proud! He caught on to the idea of riding side by side as a pair with Ulla's Morgan Gabby rather quickly. We performed 20 meter circles, cuts, diagonals, and thread the needle - all at a trot. Directions were shouted at us by Mauricio, an Italian with a very strong accent. So, not only did I not understand what he was saying, but I didn't understand what he was saying, if you catch my drift. What a blast! My pony was AWESOME! He was not intimidated by the other horses at all and tried his best to do what I was asking. On thread the needle, he squeezed in between Regal and Royal without turning a hair!
Afterwards, we went on a group trail ride and I finally had the opportunity to take some pictures.
So, Harold, how did you like joining us on the English drill team adventure? Oh, I almost forgot, guess who SELF-LOADED into the trailer for the way home??!!! Ya-hoo, Didder!!! I love my boy!

4 comments:

  1. what a totally cool opportunity Susan!! He sure was on his best behaviour too! Awesome! I bet drills were fantastic fun! Great job! Isn't it cool when they self-load? You and Didder have come so far since when I first joined the RAC. You are a fantastic team. I bet you're thrilled you stuck with him and rode out his quirks!! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awsome cowgirl picture chaps and hats looking mighty fine mighty fine. Riding english chaffed my butt a little but I made it through, thanks for the ride. Between you and Donna I am plum tuckered out. Wow.
    Thanks from the bottom of my heart Susan.
    Harold and Curly boy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan! You look adorable in your vest and chaps! (and sparkly cross earrings!) I can't believe the snow you have...I am so jealous. And Whoo Hoo on the self loading! What a GREAT day.....I am so glad you are getting out so much and that the challenge has motivated you. GREAT job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all...the drill team practice was such a trip...and even better, I made some new friends. Cyndi, the wicked nice woman who owns that gorgeous facility, is looking for places to trail ride, and she accepted my invitation to come on over!

    ReplyDelete